strange stuff on glass diffuser, using DIY jello - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
strange stuff on glass diffuser, using DIY jello

So I did the jello DIY and it works great. I have the tubing running straight from my large gatorade bottle to a glass diffuser with a ceramic disc in the tank. After running it a few days, I got some wierd slimy whitish bubbly gunk that began collecting on top of the diffuser. It wasn't anywhere else in the tank, just on top of my diffuser where the ceramic disc is. Wasn't sure what it was, so I just wiped it off and am waiting to encounter it again.

Does anybody have any idea of what this could be? Is it some of the products from the jello/yeast entering the tank? Should I use a secondary inline bottle filled with water to filter the CO2 created from the yeast?

Sorry, but I don't have any pictures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 08:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
It is just yeast "snot" and completely harmless. You can install a bubble counter or just wipe it off every once in a while. My cherry shrimp eat it with no ill effect.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 09:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
sorry for the off topic question but, where did you get the glass diffuser? and what brand is it?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Yoink - Thanks for the info. Good to know that it isn't harmful, but I'll probably still make a bubble counter so that I won't have to look at that stuff in my tank. Maybe it's just psychological.

Sammy - I found it new off of ebay for 5 or 6 bucks. If you check it every once in awhile, you'll be able to find it. I think I searched it under "CO2 glass diffuser"
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 01:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
My glass diffuser off Ebay never worked. It built up so much pressure I was afraid it was going to break.

Stupid thing shattered just taking it off the line. Waste of money for me.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 03:05 AM Thread Starter

That sucks to hear about your bad experience. Mine has worked wonderfully. I thought it might be crappy, but it's down well with me knocking it around and producing tiny bubbles, just like it should do.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 06:36 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
got my off ebay also and it works great too.... I did start to get that yeast muck on top of the disc and just added a bubble counter (DIY) and the problem went away!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 09:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
the ones i got from foster & smith didnt work, pressure just built up until the hose shot off. the ones i got from an internet store (i think it was aquabotanic? not sure) actually did break in my tank! i had it hooked up to the bottles for a few days with no bubbles coming out. i was shaking the bottles every morning a little. then i got fed up and went to change back to the hagen ladder, when i went to grab it, it tapped the glass ever so slightly and shattered right in the tank and bubbles came out of the tube so fast it made a hole in my substrate. >

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode