I need some help with plumbing. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
I need some help with plumbing.

Over the weekend I got really tired of carrying buckets and gallons around for the water change and I went to the LFS to get me a pump. So I bought a Mag Drive 2. It's rated at 250gph and when I tried it out, I didn't have the necessary plumbing parts (ie, PVC pipes, tubes and etc.) so I had a tube that was small enough for the outlet and I shoved it in there to try it. Well, for the ghetto setup it worked fine. My water change, work and headaches were cut down to about 95%. I did nothing. I just point, aim and shoot. Man it's great.

Now I need help getting the necessary plumbing part. I know that the inlet is a 1/2" FPT and the outlet is 1/2" MPT. What should I get?

Power at its best is love implementing the demands of justice. Justice at its best is love correcting everything that stands against
love.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 02:58 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via MSN to Cichlid Freq Send a message via Yahoo to Cichlid Freq
Do you have a rough sketch of what you are thinking of building? This would help a lot...

55 Gallon High Tech
2 x 55 Watt AH Supply Kit
2 x 40 Watt GE 9325k
Pressurized CO2
"Rex Reactor"
Wet Dry filter
DIY Spraybar
DIY Hood w/ cooling fans
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 03:22 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeplove
Now I need help getting the necessary plumbing part. I know that the inlet is a 1/2" FPT and the outlet is 1/2" MPT. What should I get?
Are you doing a permanent setup or one that you will be taking down? Are you using hoses or pipes?

I just set one of mine up gravity feed from the tank to a drain. All I needed was pipe, 90 degree elbows, a shutoff and and adapter to tie into the drain. On the water side I used a tee into existing water line, shutoff right there and then pipe and 90's to the tank and a shutoff right over the tank.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

It's going both ways. I was looking at the parts and stuff and I saw those slip connectors. Would those hold good enough? Cause I want to switch the output to the input when adding water and I don't really want to be undoing the connections all the time. So basically I'll be switching the outputs all the time.

Power at its best is love implementing the demands of justice. Justice at its best is love correcting everything that stands against
love.

Last edited by deeplove; 06-27-2006 at 03:25 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I'm going to buy tonight the parts so I wanted to know what I should get. It's not going to be a permanent plumbing. I want to be able to put it up and take it down with out any problems.

love.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 09:24 PM
Everyone has an opinion

PTrader: (88/100%)
Go to your local home improvement store, should find everything you need in the plumbing section. Siphon draining works fine I use 1" pvc connected to a garden hose. Pump fresh water in with the mag drive, I use 1/2" pvc connected to a garden hose. Several different ways of doing this. You can look at my DIY system (link below), parts required should be obvious, or search this forum for water changers.....DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeplove
I'm going to buy tonight the parts so I wanted to know what I should get. It's not going to be a permanent plumbing. I want to be able to put it up and take it down with out any problems.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks Spud. I saw the diy section and I now have a idea of what I"m going to do. Though your setup is for a much bigger project, the info is great and helpfull. Thanks again and also thanks for the replies.

love.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 04:34 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to vidiots Send a message via Yahoo to vidiots
Actually I think standard garden hose connectors are 1/2" pipe thread. They are just have fewer threads and a rubber washer unlike standard 1/2" pipe threads that don't use a washer and have more threads. I would think you should be able to connect them together without leaks, but you might wanna try it outside first to be sure.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode