Planning a 2.5G Cube... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Planning a 2.5G Cube...

So, school's out now, and I want to build a 2.5-gallon aquarium, but first there are a few things I need to know. I know how and where to use the tape, and silicone, and which pieces of glass go up first, and stuff like that, but what I don't know is what kind of glass to buy, what kind of tape, and especially what kind of silicone. Also, is silicone all you use to hold the glass together? It seems like it wouldn't hold for long, but what do I know? Is there anything else I need to know?

Thanks,
Josh

BTW the demensions will be 8"x8"x8" and it will house 10 cherry shrimp.

20G Tall
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 12:45 PM
Planted Member

Have you seen my nano?

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...lots-pics.html

If you ask ill try to answer all questions in this tread.

Quote:
what kind of glass to buy
For a 2,5 gal 4 mm would be fine.

Quote:
what kind of tape
Masking tape only, but you dont need to mask - though the seams will be smaller if you use it.

Quote:
what kind of silicone
standard aquarium silicone, (without fungicides (spelling?)) clear is preferrable because it dont tend to attract attention.

Silicone can hold almost forever if used correctly, and the aquarium dont need any reinforcements.

Quote:
Is there anything else I need to know
I dont know - just ask

Good luck!

From 2.1gal Nano to 14gal:

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah, I read your thread, and Scolley's 75G. But, when I order the glass, do I just tell them the demensions and that it shouldn't be tempered? I think I read something about sanding the edges, is that necessary, do they (glass shop) do that? Is it sheet glass I want?

20G Tall

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hopefully I can order the glass tomorrow, and get the supplies.

20G Tall

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 04:04 PM
Planted Member

I used plain nontempered sheet glass, and sanded edges is not a must, but a good decision, since it makes the aquarium look better.

Make sure that you tell them (glass shop) that the dimentions must be held within 1/10 of a millimeter, and the cuts are 100% straight (90), Messure the diagonals to ensure that the cuts are straight. If not - dont use them, since it will make gaps.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

And I'm assuming that for the two side panels I should take 8MM off the length?

20G Tall

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So how do I sand the edges?? I read a few DIY aquarium articles (which all suggested sanding the edges), but none of them said how.

20G Tall

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 06:10 PM
Planted Member

I would make them (shop) sand the edges since it requires special sanding stuff.

The tank should be like this from the top, with the bottom inside:

(So if you want a cube shape, the sides should be 8mm shorter - yes)

For a tank this small you dont really need a gap for silicone.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Pjerrot

bottom inside:

For a tank this small you dont really need a gap for silicone.
Oh boy, now I'm confused. ok, bottom inside, like with the front back and side panes encasing the bottom pane? That doesn't make any sense, although, if I didn't take 8MM off the sides then it would work... is that what your talking about? I thought the front back and sides would be on top of the bottom, is that incorrect?

And about the gap for silicone, are you saying that I only need to put it on the inside corners (Instead of inbetween the glass panes)?

20G Tall

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 08:53 PM
jgc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
This is a quote from nater3 starphire cube thread
Quote:
I put the four sides on top of the bottom peice.

Bottom 12" x 12"
2 sides 11.5" x 12"
2 sides 12" x 12"

Set up the corner first, then the next 11.5" x 12" then finally the last 12" x 12" just pops right on the end.

58 gallon oceanic, Kessel 360 tun sun, pressurized co2, eheim pimp #179 - 2217 and diffuser
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 03:07 AM
csf
Planted Member

PTrader: (19/100%)
http://www.garf.org/

Go to the DIY section and to tank building. It will help calculate the dimensions and give detailed steps on how to put it together. Since you are building something very small, you'll want to deviate from their plans.

I made a 10" cube (acrylic) using their steps. No upper rim supports - none needed.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 03:09 AM
csf
Planted Member

PTrader: (19/100%)
Oh yeah, I've sanded glass using hardware store sand paper. I was making replacement glass tops from the hardware store and just needed something to take the sharp edge off. I can't recall the grit, but I'd guess something a little higher (400+ maybe?) to simply clean up the edges.

But get the cutting company to grind them if you can, even if it's a few $$$ extra. Well worth your time and it'll probably save you some slightly cut fingers.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 01:49 PM
Planted Member

The bottom should not hold the sides - it could break the bottom!

The front view should look like this

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Got it! Alright I went to GARF and got the deminsions; 2 - 8"x8", 2 - 8"x7.5", and 1 - 7.5"x7.5" That look right?

20G Tall

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh and what about the silicone?

20G Tall

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode