Fly trap - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
Fly trap

In Summer, there are always plenty flies around the house. Attracted by the compost heap, flowers, snails that I squished flat, you name it. Many of these flies become food for my African Butterflies, but I also noticed that my Festivums go crazy for them.

Rather than catching them one by one, I built this very effective fly trap. It is made out of a 3l soda bottle with its bottom cut off, one of them cross-stitch plastic thingies from the craft isle, and a zip tie.

I roll the plastic into a funnel, leaving a small, maybe 1" hole on the top. I used small zip ties to "sow" it together, then connected the large zip tie. Cut a slit into the bottle cap and pushed the zip tie through. This way I can hold it by the zip tie, which pulls up the plastic and seals it against the bottle.

Okay, now I go out and slowly lower it over poor, innocent big green flies. Once scared, they have an urge to go up, up, up which brings them to the hole on top that doesn't lead to freedom, but to certain death.

I can catch probably 20+ flies in 5 minutes if there are enough around. Once I am happy or tired of it, the whole contraption goes into the freezer (making sure it doesn't open up accidently... wife doesn't like little frozen dead bodies in the fridge). After a couple of minutes, they don't move anymore and either are thrown into the tank or get stored for future feeding. Helps to keep my ABFs happy in Winter when other insects are scarce.

Just thought I'd share.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6061449b.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	2977  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 07:05 AM
The Weather's Here

PTrader: (41/100%)
That's a good idea. Thanks for sharing. Have you tried just shaking the bottle around a little to disorient the flies so they can't fly but they will move around. Then feed them to your fish... I'm sure you don't have a problem with your ABFs eating the chilled flies but they may like them better if their moving around. Any idea what the nutritional value of a fly is?

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Are these real?

Hehe, the kind of flies that I catch would not get disoriented that quickly... they would end up all over the house.

But you are right, the ABFs prefer something that's moving. You should see what happens when I put a moth in there that flutters all over the surface. Think Jurassic Park, the field where the Velociraptors attack.

Not sure about the nutritional value, but I figure it might be part of their "natural" diet, and a good addition if fed once a week or every other week.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 03:47 PM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
I would be worried about pestasides that have been used in your neighborhood, etc. comtaminating your tank and harming your fish.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 04:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
Clever trick Wasser! I may have to try that.

- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Are these real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshfanatic
I would be worried about pestasides that have been used in your neighborhood, etc. comtaminating your tank and harming your fish.
Good point... but I am not too worried. I guess it would be similar to us eating Strawberries and Apples and Grapes without thoroughly washing them. You know it isn't good for you but it won't kill you either.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 05:24 PM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest
You know it isn't good for you but it won't kill you either.
True, however people are more "resiliant" than fish.. I wish you all the luck, ABF's are sweet. I had a tank dedicated to Archers, 50% filled with water and branches plants the whole deal. It was sweet! I fed them crickets.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode