sliding glass top **how to** - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Everyone has an opinion

PTrader: (88/100%)
sliding glass top **how to**

Anybody have or made a sliding glass top for their tank? I want to make sliding tops and get away from hinged.....DC

Last edited by DiabloCanine; 06-03-2006 at 07:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 09:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)
I've never done it before, but it sounds like a great ideal. I can't work around the hinged ones well, and I usually put them on the ground while I work on my tanks and eventually I end up stepping on them and breaking them. I hope you figure out a way to do it...
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 09:49 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
When my hinged tops broke, I cut glass pieces a little bigger so the front one rests on top of the back piece. Then I would slide them back... Only problem is if there is water involved, they start to stick to each other and it can be a little difficult to get them to let go.

Now I am back to a flat two piece top where I use a little rubber sucker to remove the front piece.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Everyone has an opinion

Well, I have too much humidity in my house with 12 tanks and need to reinstall all the glass tops. I couldn't open the hinged ones because they hit the lights so I took them off. Guess I'm not the only one that has stepped on and knocked them over, the ones that weren't broken I gave away. Since I need to buy all new glass anyway, guess I'll figure out a way. Thought for sure this wasn't a novel idea.....DC
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 02:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
What I've done for this situation (light in the way)...

Removed the hinge, cut the glass down the center. The left side rests on the left side of the tank top, and the center brace, the right side has a modified cabinet pull double sided tape holding it on.

For feeding, dosing, etc...just remove the one side and place it on top of the left side.

But now you have me thinking a bit more.

Might have to venture out to the hobby store again...

Take two brass or aluminum channels, solder them or epoxy them together on the edges of the glass, voila, sliding glass top. I might line the inner channel of the top piece with teflon tape or something else to help with the "slide".

Would look like this:

Depending on the width of you tank, this might just do it.

post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 07:18 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoetzl
Take two brass or aluminum channels, solder them or epoxy them together on the edges of the glass, voila, sliding glass top. I might line the inner channel of the top piece with teflon tape or something else to help with the "slide".
Hey, if you are using channels, couldn't both pieces of glass be sliders? Slide back the front piece for feeding, dosing, etc., but then could slide forward the back piece when you need to do trimming, etc., to the back of the tank.
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 07:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoetzl
What I've done for this situation (light in the way)...

Removed the hinge, cut the glass down the center. The left side rests on the left side of the tank top, and the center brace, the right side has a modified cabinet pull double sided tape holding it on.

For feeding, dosing, etc...just remove the one side and place it on top of the left side.

But now you have me thinking a bit more.

Might have to venture out to the hobby store again...

Would look like this:

Depending on the width of you tank, this might just do it.
You can buy the sliding glass door tracks already made at: http://www.rockler.com/search_result...19&submit.y=11
This will work much better if the top is split front to back instead of side to side. That way the tracks will support much more of the glass as it slides. You could then open each side of the tank top completely for pruning, feeding, etc.

Hoppy
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Everyone has an opinion

I figured it out and it is completed and installed on the tank. Cost less than $10 including glass to make. It is posted with the rest of my DIY projects, here is the link:
http://www.fellowshipofthefish.com/f...forum.php?f=13
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 11:10 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
That's a nice little project, thanks for sharing!

post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 12:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
OK, outside corner molding...but now I have to know...inspired by the post or same ideas at same time...if so, I think you should tell me tomorrow's lottery numbers...

Nice job!

post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 05:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (21/100%)
I have a 3' piece of glass on a 55 gal, and I went to Home Depot looking for glass tracks. Couldn't find it.

The forum link is down, and the DIY information is gone. Any chance of getting more information about the glass tracks?

Mark

Mark

post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 06:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I just removed the plastic hinge between the front and rear sections. I just lay the glass butted edge-to-edge. No problems so far.

Tommy

><;;;"> <9))>>{

Eheim Pimp #204.
58 gal planted Oceanic
Red Turquiose Discus, Japonica shrimp, assorted Blue Eyed Rainbows, Tetras, Hatchets, Danios, Rasboras
10 gal low tech planted Celestial Pearl Danio (Celestichthys margaritatus) & Emerald Dwarf Rasbora (Microrasbora erythromicron)
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Everyone has an opinion

The site has been hacked by some infitile weebee with no life or reproductive organ, the DIY info has gone to bit heaven. The "glass track" can be found at Lowes in the door/window section, I found it at the end of the sliding door aisle. Here are some pics, hope they help....DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredyk View Post
I have a 3' piece of glass on a 55 gal, and I went to Home Depot looking for glass tracks. Couldn't find it.

The forum link is down, and the DIY information is gone. Any chance of getting more information about the glass tracks?

Mark
post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 10:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
I just did this for both of my 10 gallon tanks w/ the same stuff found at lowe's. Works like a charm although I find that when i put the slider part on the bottom track, it doesn't want to slide very well. I put the stationary part on the bottom track and the slider sits on the top track.

The stuff you are looking for should be labelled as "tileboard molding" and should be near the tiling section.

-Charlie
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 11:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (21/100%)
DC Thanks,
Mark

Mark

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode