DIY cabinet questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY cabinet questions

I'm in the middle of drawing up plans to build my own cabinet for a new tank but am trying to decide on what height to make the cabinet. What's the maximum height for a cabinet which is supporting a 2ft high tank without causing to much trouble working inside it? I was thinking of going to about 800mm high (~30in) but wanted further opinions first.

The cabinet I am making I want to look like a traditional cabinet with a solid flat top and made out of Australian hardwood timber. I quite like the style of this cabinet

or this one

The normal thing to do usually is to put some styrofoam under the tank, would it be unwise to place a tank directly onto a flat hard surface?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 01:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff
you can place the tank directly on the hard surface. wot hurt anything. you could put a thin layer of foam down if you really want to but there isnt much need for it

The Fish Tank, Tranquility in Motion

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
all gone now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 05:51 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordow
What's the maximum height for a cabinet which is supporting a 2ft high tank without causing to much trouble working inside it?
Trick question... my answer is: not enough information provided.

It's going to be hard for us to tell you what the maximum height is without knowing a lot more because it depends on your personal measurements (esp. "armpit height" and arm length), the tank's other dimensions, whether it's freestanding, up against a wall, in a corner, ... and somewhat on what you consider "much trouble".

If you want, you could figure out all kinds of ways to figure this out mathematically, but it would probably be easier (and probably as accurate) to just try out your reach on the same size tank at your LFS and see if you think you could still do it if the stand were taller.

2ft is a tall-ish tank (for a planted one), 30 in. is a tall-ish stand, so if you're tall-ish and your arms are long-ish, it's not too wide it'll probably be okay.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 09:45 PM
Everyone has an opinion

PTrader: (88/100%)
Middle of the tank at eye height when you are sitting. Have you considered a lip to cover the tank frame on the bottom? I have seen a lot of stands/canopies that look like crap because the tank frame is visible on the bottom. I really like both those styles. I do not have any styrofoam under my tanks.....DC
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 09:55 PM
The Weather's Here

PTrader: (41/100%)
30'' is the normal height for stands. I made my 150G (5' x 2' x 2') tank stand 30'' tall and I wish I would of made it shorter because it was hard to get to the bottom of the entire tank. Even standing on a stool I couldn't get to the bottom back without sticking my arm pit in the water

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2006, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom
Trick question... my answer is: not enough information provided.
Well I'm 175cm tall (5ft 10in) so I guess it does all depend on my height and arm reach. I'll go to one of my local aquarium stores and get a feel for their 2ft tall tanks. I might have to re-think the tank size and maybe go for 20in high as I don't want to lose too much height on the cabinet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloCanine
Middle of the tank at eye height when you are sitting. Have you considered a lip to cover the tank frame on the bottom? I have seen a lot of stands/canopies that look like crap because the tank frame is visible on the bottom. I really like both those styles. I do not have any styrofoam under my tanks.....DC
I hadn't thought of that. What I think I'll do is make a removable surround to hide the bottom and not make it a permanent feature of the top of the cabinet. The reason being in case in the future for some unknown reason I have do away with the tank, I'd like to keep the cabinet to use as normal furniture and not have it look like aquarium furniture that looks out of place.

My thoughts at the moment also is to make the top of the cabinet removable as Australian hardwood is generally very heavy and will make moving the cabinet around easier. I'm not sure how this will affect the cabinets load bearing ability but as long as I make the internal structure of the cabinet solid and distribute the load evenly hopefully it won't be an issue.

I'm unsure what to do with the top of the tank though. I've been contemplating just making a open top-surround which hides the top of the tank but doesn't impede any light coming from a hanging fixture and can easily be removed when doing maintenance.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2006, 10:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hi.I hope this link will help.

http://www.fishandtips.com/index.php
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2006, 10:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
GREAT link distrbd.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 07:49 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
i was just poking around the forums , and came across this.. i am 6 feet tall, and well when i work in my tank, i decided it would be a good idea not to wear a t-shirt, it kept getting wet from dipping in my arm to the back of the tank.. so personally if i had the choice i would go a little shorter then the cabinet i have...

"I love the smell of fish tanks in the morning, Smells like... like... Ok it's time for a water change..."

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode