Canopy Refinishing - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Canopy Refinishing

I am restoring a 55gal tank setup that I had in storage for the last 5 years, and its kinda old I used it for about 10 years before I stored it. I got the tank all washed up and its squeaky clean and happy to see very few scratches!

The tank comes with a wood stand and canopy also. It appears that they both were just lightly stained and not properly water proofed. The inside of the canopy has some water damage. Within a week I plan on sanding both canopy and stand completely and prep them for refinishing.

My question is directed at refinishing the canopy. I would like to know what I could use to coat and water seal the inside of the canopy? Most importantly I wanted to make sure that it would be able to withstand the head generated by the lights and possible water splash or whatever. I just want to make sure so I don't accidentally leak wood finishing product into the tank.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 02:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
For the inside, use Spar Urethene over flat white paint. Makes for a very nice semi-gloss finish, and is waterproof.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Great, that is pretty much what I had in mind, to give it that plastic-like covering to keep it protected. I am thinking along the lines of 110W of CF lighting (QTY2- 1x55W AH kits), which will be poorly vented so there will be some heat buildup and just wanted to make sure it wouldn't melt and drip in the tank.

But as far as I can tell that sounds right on to me.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 01:53 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via MSN to Curare
I wouldn't be worried so much about stuff melting and dripping into the tank
I'd be more worried about the heat that you're pouring into the tank, if you live in a warm area, the temp of the tank can quickly get out of control without some help.

As for resealing and finising the canopy. I'd deffinetely go with the urethane action, or, a few coats of sanding sealer (really poked into all those nooks and crannies) and then a coat or two of gloss white enamel. It's waterproof and very glossy. The only thing is, it's a pain to work with, and stinks for a week!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Like drops of fertiliser into the tank, so are the days of our CO2...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ahh good deal. It looks like I got nothing to worry about. I won't have to worry about water temp from poorly vented lights either as the tank will be in the basement which is a constant cold damp 68 degrees, so I will put that excess heat from the lights to save my heater some stress

Sounds like fun, the time needed to the do the work is all the better, I won't even get my soilmaster for about 3 weeks, so I got plenty of time to play the painting and sealing.

Thanks for the info !

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode