Mounting Legs (open top tank) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to valleyvampiress Send a message via Yahoo to valleyvampiress
Mounting Legs (open top tank)

I bought this 5g that was just the tank. From a previous order I had gotten this 18w CF light that has slightly smaller "slide ins" for mounting legs so I don't think it will work with any standard mounting legs. I was wondering if there is a safe way to make my own. I'd prefer to have an open top tank, so buying a cover isn't an option at the moment.

I really want something that's going to be safe. I don't want to have an accident where it slips out and electocutes my fish or myself. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

7G Long:1 Killie, 3 Rasboras, 1 Ghost Shrimp, 1 Amano
Java Fern, Anubias Coffeefolia, Anubias Barteri, Cabomba, Ludwigia

5G:2 Platies, 1 Ghost Shrimp
Java Fern, Green Wendtii, Petite Nana, Bacopa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 02:21 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Doesn't it stink that those 18 watt fixtures won't fit an AGA standard 5.5 tank?

What I did to fix it was take a 3/4" dowel rod, cut it to length so that it fits tightly inside the lip of the tank from front to back. Then sanded 2 nice flat spots where the legs of the fixture could clamp in place. Painted them black and coated it with polyurethane in a spray can. you can find both the dowel rods and the poly spray can at WallyMart in the crafts section.

the digi-cam is on loan to my daughter ATM so sorry, no pics. But i think you can get the idea from what i posted above.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to valleyvampiress Send a message via Yahoo to valleyvampiress
Thank you gbhil. I don't know what a dowel rod is, but I'm sure someone at Home Depot will know.

What kind of clamps exactly did you use?

7G Long:1 Killie, 3 Rasboras, 1 Ghost Shrimp, 1 Amano
Java Fern, Anubias Coffeefolia, Anubias Barteri, Cabomba, Ludwigia

5G:2 Platies, 1 Ghost Shrimp
Java Fern, Green Wendtii, Petite Nana, Bacopa

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 12:28 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Dowel rod is a round wooden pole, like a perch from a bird cage.
I used the flip up legs that came with my fixture, they have a little screw clamp in them. For normal legs that grab the outside rim of the aquarium, I'd just make sure the dowel rods were spaced apart correctly for the fixture to sit on, maybe screw through one of the legs on each side into the wooden rod if it wasn't tight enough for my liking.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 12:39 PM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
Find some washers that fit in the groove on the fixture, flat head bolts that fit the washers and nuts or wing nuts that fit the bolts. Then use something to make legs to attach to the bolts, suggestions would be dowels, lexan, pvc pipe, and carve, cut, or mold the legs to fit the top of the aquarium.

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 04:32 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Have you thought about suspending it over the tank? You could use some sort of U-shaped hooks and some wire to hang the fixture... or hang it from your cieling. I have a light over my 90 gallon that came with the usual clamp on flip legs... they were pretty cheap-o so I got rid of them and hung the light from the cieling. I do realize your tank is slightly smaller, so maybe some sort of bracket behind it or a hook setup to suspend it.

Just my 2 pennies.

*90 gallon planted community/discus tank * Odyssea 260w - 10 hours of 130w 6400k + 130w 6700k * Cascade 1000 canister * AquaClear 50 powerhead with DIY CO2 * Hagan bubble ladder * 250w heater - 80-82 degrees * 9W Turbo Twist * Pressurized CO2 coming soon*

*29 Gallon coming soon...?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 03:40 PM
csf
Planted Member

PTrader: (19/100%)
Can you post a link to the site where you got the fixture?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 05:34 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY filter - 5 gallon bucket

Im also trying the 5 gallon bucket method. This idea came to me after the guy at the pet-store tried to sell me a canister with a external pump for about $300 ... I though why not make by own canister ?

My design is compartmentalized with a few acrylic sheets cut up, your bottom up design seems easier to build but harder to clean since the first stage is way at the bottom.

My issue is that nothing adheres to the plastic 5 gallon Home Depot buckets. Not epoxy. Havent tried PVC cement yet, Im out... I made a silcon O-ring on the top of the bucket to insure a good seal, but the silicon peals off very easily. I cut a groove in the top with my dremel tool, and that helps the silicon adhere a little better, but not like it would to glass.

Anyone know what kind of glue sticks to those buckets? I'd like to stick cleats in the bucket so my compartments can slide in and out on the cleats.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode