New To DIY CO2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
New To DIY CO2

I just got from a friend a canister from Hagen CO2. I added the two chemicals and the ladder too. However...it's been like 4 hours or so and the air bubbles are going into the ladder too slow like...1 for every 30 seconds or longer. Is this right or....does it go faster as time goes on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 12:01 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
Give it some more hours to get to full production. Sometimes the yeast in those little packets is old, and you might be better off getting some new one from the grocery shelf.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah thats what I thought...however didn't knew it was yeast however...the package did say that its not that great after about 18 months.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hey I got a question:

I was thinking that the defussor...bet i'm spelling it wrong...works by giving the CO2 more time to defuse with the water...therefore a location with more water turbulance is better...so I was thinking the only place that has the right kind of water turbulance is near my air bubbles where it creates a lot of turbulance as the air bubble rises to the surface. However...there's a lot of defused oxygen bubbles there too...what do you think?

Also...in my penguin powerhead...there's an opening near the valve where you can insert a tube. By forcing the water through the intake and outtake...is that how you call it lol...it sucks in air from the tube into the water as it goes out. I was wondering about doing a project in which I get a 4L bottle and connecting a tube directly to that spot...what do you think...because I was wondering with the sucking kinda force would it actually do too much...i dunno

?!?! HELP
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 01:58 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Place the ladder diffuser in a spot with current, but...you should be shutting your air pump off while your lights are on. By not doing this, you're gassing off most of your CO2.

If you put your CO2 output tube into the power head, be sure to use a sturdy bottle. It can create enough of a vacuum to collapse your bottle and suck the yeast mixture up through the tube and into your tank.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah but don't the fish...shrimps...and snails need the air?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 05:42 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Yes, they need dissolved O2 in the water to breathe. Water can be saturated with both CO2 and O2 at the same time, one does not displace the other.

In the daytime your plants are giving off O2 and adding it to the water. Sometimes so much that the water can't absorb any more of it and pearling is seen.

At night, the plants are using O2 instead of adding it. Thats the time you may see O2 starved fish, and need to run your airstone.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah I know that but what I'm trying to say is that you said to turn it off...I have fish and stuff in there don't they need it though? You said turn it off otherwise I'll "be gassing off most of (my) CO2"...I don't have many plants in there yet...so...slightly in the dark here.

So are you telling me that with just the plants and stuff...I won't need to turn on my air pump until I turn the lights off right? If yes than again back to the top question and if you say yeah the plants will give off enough oxygen don't worry just shut off the air at daytime...than okay but are you sure cause I have about 40 guppies..half a dozen snails...and over a dozen cherry shrimps.

The only current that I can get so far is from the airstone...as the mass of bubbles rush to the surface...they create water turbulance and I was thinking about using that. I also have a penguin powerhead and was thinking about directing its current at the ladder...however...it is located on the right side of the tank...pointing to the left...the ladder is in the slight left of the middle of the tank so the water current from the powerhead doesn't reach it. I'm using the powerhead to create a current from right to left and my filter is at the left creating a current from left to right...therefore making a circular current around the tank for complete circulation etc etc. So that is why I am reluctant about moving the powerhead.

so................?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 09:11 PM
Are these real?

Most planted tankers don't use airbubblers at all. However, most of us don't overstock their tanks either. If you do, you might need to leave the bubbles running. This will remove some of the CO2 that you are trying to add to your water. Once you have healthy growing plants, you can turn off the air during daytime, because photosynthetic activity of your plants will add O2 to the water.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just got home from work....sigh

Overstock? I got one guy saying you can keep 100-150 cherries in 10 gallons and I have about a dozen cherries and 35-40 guppies...overstocking...its also a 40 gallon not 10? Maybe I misunderstood. But alright thanks I'm going to set up my DIY CO2 right now...wish me luck...I got a 3.78L KIRKLAND CRANDBERRY RASPBERRY...I burrowed a drill and will drill a hole and add about 4/7th of a table spoon or whatever it was...i'll check...and I'll add some backing powder. Thanks...we'll see how it works....by the way...the one that I got from my friend...the Hagen CO2 system...its now bubbling faster. Thanks
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 02:51 AM
Are these real?

Sorry didn't know you were talking about a 40gal tank. Assumptions... you know how that goes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan515
but are you sure cause I have about 40 guppies..half a dozen snails...and over a dozen cherry shrimps.
Made it sound like you were concerned...

Anyway, good luck with the CO2, it'll help a lot to grow plants.

BTW regarding your Penguin, if there is any sucking involved do not use a collapsible bottle, like a plastic soda or juice bottle, because you'd risk some of the mix getting sucked into your tank.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Can someone explain to me from personal experiences about GH KH CO2 PH relations?

Like...what do they all mean...I know some but don't really comprehend GH KH yet...what levels are good for them...about buffering capacities...etc etc. I just need one really fantastic explaination and this will HOPEFULLY be the last time I'll ask lol.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode