Best sugar for getting the most out of diy co2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Best sugar for getting the most out of diy co2

OK

I just did a school lab on yeast and their anaerobic reactions to sugar. In the experiment, we tried to find out wut properties would yield the most co2 gas. We used Glucose, Sucrose, Molasses, and Lactose. Lactose did nothing. Molases and Glucose worked the at the same rate. Sucrose was better than mollasses or glucose. Also, the concentration of the sugars affected the experiment as well. For comparing sugar types, we used 5% solutions. Then we experimented with sucrose, making 5% solutions, 10% solutions, and 15% solutions. It proved that more sugar also makes the rate of production faster.

Anyone else know about sugar and yeast? Which sugar is the BEST sugar out there? and what is mollasses. Is it malactose with a weird name?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 10:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
I like brown sugar. It seems to be a more stable reaction.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 06:21 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Well - there are different types of yeast and different types og Carbonhydrates. I dont know any subjetionel experiments trying to maximize CO2 production. (I studying to be a laboratorian).

maybe ill try that

From 2.1gal Nano to 14gal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 11:34 PM
Algae Grower

Molasses is a by product of the sugar making. Brown sugar has molasses in it. I like the dark brown sugar the best.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 05:17 PM
eds
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Interesting.
My buddy just told me he had run out of white sugar and used brown instead, and it really seemed to kick up the CO2 production.
Highly urged me to try it.
I think I will.

55gal - Coralife 4x65w cf, xp3, flourite, Hydor ETH300w, pressurized CO2 w/ rex(TM) reactor!

30gal - 55W AH, ecco 2232, flourite/gravel, DIY CO2 w/ Hagen ladder

3gal - endlers/cherry shrimp
4W cf, Red Sea deco nano, flourite
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 07:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
Send a message via AIM to nellis
dextrose is fermented very quickly and produces a lot of co2 in a short period of time, the problem is replacing it every few days. you can get it at home brew supply shops pretty cheap.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 05:33 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via MSN to Curare
and you can use Maltose but it's not cheap

Personally, i really cant justify using sugars that work fast but burn out quickly

I like slow controlled fermentation, and if i need more C02 I gang more bottles up.

Like drops of fertiliser into the tank, so are the days of our CO2...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in