Putting a bell on top of a Hagen Ladder Diffuser - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)
Send a message via MSN to saint27 Send a message via Yahoo to saint27
Putting a bell on top of a Hagen Ladder Diffuser

The other day while enjoying my tank I got the watching the bubbles of CO2 running up my Hagen Ladder. By the time they reached the top they were very small and would collect in the top area. After several bubbles gathered they would join into a bigger and bigger bubble until it floated out of the top. I was wondering it would be possible or if anyone has put a bell above the ladder to catch the escaping bubbles. I was thinking that it might even be possible to turn the top of the ladder itself into a bell by putting a couple of sheets of plastic on both sides of it just down to where the ladder part stops. What does everyone think?

High Tech:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 09:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
yep i've done it. I took two airline holders with suction cups, the first one I stuck the tank above the ladder. I wedged the suction cup into the airline holder from the first one so that the suction cup was pointed down, creating a bell. Worked pretty well and while the suction cup wasn't huge, by the time the bubbles had gotten to the top of the ladder they were pretty small. Make sure you have enough current near the ladder and bell to help with diffusion.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 09:58 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
I think that by the time a bubble reaches the top, not only it's size is down to 1% of the original volume, also the content of it has changed mostly from CO2 to O2.

It seems to me that as a bubble moves around in the tank, not only the CO2 of it dissolves, but also some O2 diffuses into the bubble. Proof of this are reactors and filters that accumulate "air" in afternoons, when O2 saturation in our tanks is reached.

In other words, I think adding a bell to the top of the ladder doesn't do any harm, but will not help in adding any CO2 either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

There's something that I haven't thought of. Thanks for the help.

High Tech:
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 09:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
thats so funny because i just recently found a way to do this and its been working remarkably well!

i used one of those plastic bubble things you get from vending machines for a quarter with a prize in em. i used the colored part not the clear part because i could make a hole through the colored part without cracking it. then i took a suction cup/airline holder and pulled the part that actually hold the airline out of the suction cup. i stuck it through the hole and back in the suction cup and stuck it to the tank right above the bubble ladder.

Last edited by SammyP; 05-19-2006 at 11:54 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 09:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to dschmeh Send a message via MSN to dschmeh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest
I think that by the time a bubble reaches the top, not only it's size is down to 1% of the original volume, also the content of it has changed mostly from CO2 to O2.

It seems to me that as a bubble moves around in the tank, not only the CO2 of it dissolves, but also some O2 diffuses into the bubble. Proof of this are reactors and filters that accumulate "air" in afternoons, when O2 saturation in our tanks is reached.

In other words, I think adding a bell to the top of the ladder doesn't do any harm, but will not help in adding any CO2 either.
If thats the case as the o2 equalized with the co2 bubble the size would stabalize and never get smaller. If you had a tall enough ladder or started with a smaller bubble the co2 bubble would completly be absorbed into the water and the bubble would disappear. co2 bubbles dont absorbe o2. the water absorbes co2 making the bubble smaller. so the bell on the top should catch the bubbles and help dissapate the co2 into the water instead of the bubble coming out of the ladder and vaporing off once it hits the surface.

Eclipse system 12
heavily planted
AH 36w retro kit light 2pm-11pm
Substrate: Flourite
Pressurized Co2 with Red Sea 500 Reactor
jbj regulator
PMDD PreMix/EI

10g shrimp Only tank
Flourite Red
28w corallife aqualight
Various Mosses.
whisper 20 w/ sponge pre-filter.
Feeding HBH Lobster crab bites and Algae Wafers.
No Co2 and very light fertilization
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 07:44 PM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
I once placed a Rio 50 powerhead above the ladder to catch the bubbles that came off of it. It spit out a fine mist of bubbles. I used the adjustable throttle piece shown attached to it plus the duck bill diffuser. It worked OK and some of the fish liked to swim in the current. I usually had the throttle set about half way. http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/...tegory_id=3199
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ok so now I am thinking about this again and Left C just gave me a great idea. I have a powerhead running right now that has an optional air port attachment. I could make something similar to SammyP did but with an air hose coming out of the top. The bell will catch the leftover bubble and the hose would connect to the air input on the powerhead mist the CO2 out into the tank. When there is no bubble in the bell it will suck water through.

Comments?

High Tech:
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 10:38 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I posted this one about a month ago. I have this another one with a chopstick jammed into the end of an air hose to make smaller bubbles for the ladder. Current blowing over the ladder definitely helps a lot. The smaller bubbles seem to chill out in the ladder longer. You can watch the bubbles get a lot smaller as they go up.

The powerhead chopper works too, if you don't mind your tank looking like champaign fizz a bit. Also note, the bubbles hitting the impeller are very noisy.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 04:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
i like that idea left C. its probably safer and more efficient than hooking the CO2 line directly to the venturi on the powerhead to diffuse the CO2. i have that setup in another tank but, like ktulu said, the bubbles are a little unsightly. in my tank the smaller ones dissipate and the larger ones float up and seem to just sit at the surface. its kindof strange, i have no idea why they dont pop.

saints idea is interesting too. i dont see why it wouldnt work although it seems more complicated than it has to be. i guess one advantage of doing it that way is that you can set the powerhead lower in the water giving the CO2 even more time to dissolve. you could even make the powerhead blow across the ladder making the system even more efficient. the only drawback i can see is the extra equipment in the tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode