co2 room temperature - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
co2 room temperature

ok im trying to do yeast in my basement fish room- only prob is im getting about 1bubble per 2 seconds or maybe even 3. ive treid about 3 different batches so i dont think its my mix. what i think it might be is its colder in the basement (so my wife says i think it feels nice) but how much will that effect the contraption. ive read that wine yeast can work at lower temperatures but how low? can wine yeast work at around 63'f

any ideas would be great

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 03:52 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm not sure of the "operating temp" of yeast, however I did run across a suggestion on a way to compensate this problem. This will also help reduce 'night spikes' of co2 concentration. What you do is set your homemade bottle(s) into a small bucket and fill that bucket with some water. Place an aquarium heater in the water and put it on a timer. If you have a timer for your lights, put it with them. That way it will heat it up during the day and encourage the yeast to get to work. And at night, it will cool down, especially in your basement, reducing an overload of co2!

Hope this helps!

*90 gallon planted community/discus tank * Odyssea 260w - 10 hours of 130w 6400k + 130w 6700k * Cascade 1000 canister * AquaClear 50 powerhead with DIY CO2 * Hagan bubble ladder * 250w heater - 80-82 degrees * 9W Turbo Twist * Pressurized CO2 coming soon*

*29 Gallon coming soon...?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 12:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
Champagne yeast works at lower temperatures.

Regards,
Sam
  • 150g dirt tank (work in progress)
  • 100g corner community tank
  • 180g Native North American fish
  • 85g bichir lair
  • 45g flatback hex dirt tank
  • 75g blackwater tank
  • 40 breeder dollar sunfish

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 02:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
Send a message via AIM to nellis
as a homebrewer i've struggled with this problem. temperature does influence yeast activity. with some of the yeasts i've used before (mostly ale yeast) a difference between a few degrees f will mean the difference between a beautiful, well fermented ale, and a 50$ batch of warm, beer flavored sugar water.
im pretty sure bread yeast is pretty resilient, you could try switching to a lager yeast if there's a homebrew store around- they prefer cooler temps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 03:15 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
IME - Temeprature was a huge factor in even CO2 production. I would try putting the yeast bottles in a water bath, but a I would try something like a rubbermaid tub versus a bucket. Also, I would heat it 24/7 because it takes the yeast some time to get going after it warms up. Even CO2 levels have always worked better for me than constantly flucuating levels.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode