Anyone ever modded a canister filter to put a heater in it? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Anyone ever modded a canister filter to put a heater in it?

I am trying to get more items out of the tank for a cleaner look. Anyone ever modified a canister filter to put the heater in it? I have a Zoomed 501 on my 15G, and I am thinking of drilling a hole, sticking the heater down into it, and sealing it up with the control knob sticking out of the top of the filter. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 10:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
It works on DIY Heater modules made out of PVC.....

Other than that, all I can say is: Good Luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 11:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
While I have never tried it, the only logical place that won't cause permanent damage would be the access port, just behind the water inlet on the 501. I would see if ZooMed sells just that part, get a spare, and then give it a whirl.

I will say that those filters can be very sensitive to flow restrictions. Also, I don't think the length of even a 25W filter would sit all the way in there. I don't have both in front of me now, but I just imagine it would be a little too tall.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 12:53 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Have you considered adding Pentair Aquatics Triple Heater Module in line.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah, I was specifically looking at the access port, but I would also consider drilling a new hole in a different location. Regarding the height: you are correct that the heater is taller than the filter, but I don't have a problem with an inch or two sticking out of the top. My heater's elements seem to be only in the lower half of the unit. Still thinking about this one...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 03:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defchilde
Have you considered adding Pentair Aquatics Triple Heater Module in line.

That would really be overkill on the turtle 501...I'd consider a Hydor inline before that, but that is still too many watts...

Hmmm...speaking of Hydor...

If the ambient temp isn't that far off your target, you might get away with one or two hydor mini heaters. And maybe run them as the "divider" in the 501, with the cords coming through the access port...siliconed in place or with a water tight fitting mounted on the 501.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Only problem with the hydor minis is the lack of auto-control, but it was a great idea.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 08:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

For the heat they put out, even if left on 24/7, it shouldn't be a problem. I run one on my 2.5 gallon tank and it stays right around 78-79...

Hint - use a timer with multiple on-off settings as the controller...

I can't imagine they'd get too hot in a 15g. Just a little boost...

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, I checked the heater in the access port of the zoomed today. It looks like it will work. Gonna have to get some kinda of stopper/gasket since the hole is significantly larger than the diameter of the heater, so I can't just silicone it in place.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 01:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

What heater did you wind up putting in there?

My thought would have been to cut the cord and install a waterproof connector or solder it back togther and heat shrink it, so that you wouldn't need a large hole in there .

Did you find out if Zoo Med sells replacement parts?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode