Bucket filter design-- Input please - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Bucket filter design-- Input please

I have a 60 gal goldfish tank... need I say more??

With large goldfish its hard to keep the tank clean. I would REALLY like to be able to make my own filter that can handle the tank. I looked into buying a canaster filter for it and well... thats way outta my price range.

So I was thinking of just trying to make a bucket filter. Ive made small DIY filters with a similar plan before however I dont know how big the pump should be (gph) and if this design might work.

Ideas??

My fishies and I say 'tank' you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 11:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Check eBay for the Jebo canister filters. You can get one for about what you would spend trying (and most likely failing) to build one from a 5 gallon bucket.
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 12:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
The best reason for making your own filter is the fun of doing it, not the money saved. I agree with Rex that you wouldn't be likely to save much if any money. And, with DIY, there is always the risk that it won't work, and the "manufacturers" guarantee isn't too good on those!

Hoppy

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

yes. But none of the ones that I have seen will work for my tank. FYI: I have made these BEFORE. I know they WILL work. I just needed help with figuring out the GPH I will need for the pump. BTW rexx... not everyone is rich and can afford to just go out and buy what ever they want. Some of us actualy have to make do with what we can make. And no. A bucket filter wont cost the $300+ one of those canasters will.
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 12:25 AM
LOTR BFME

Send a message via AIM to sarahbobarah
Have you tried making a sump out of a ten gallon tank? Your diagram looks like one except the water flow is opposite.

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"
"The world's sexiest ichthyologist." - Eheim Madame *172*

Best Dressed Member of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. (I sit at the cool kids' table)
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 02:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Did you even take the damn time to look on eBay?

If you think a canister filter costs $300 then you really need to get out of the house more. The average price of a canister filter is about $100. The Jebo on eBay can be had for around $50-$60.

So just p*** off.
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 04:41 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (15/94%)
Ah, now i realize what a curmudgeon is.

@Greener.. Get a good seal on that bucket. Id also think about reinforcing the lid so you can be assured of a good seal. As far as the pump goes id look for something in the 500-600 gph range. More power really than neccesary to 1) compensate for head and 2) get good circulation and keep that crap on the bottom from setteling.

Good luck and fill us in on how it goes.
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 04:50 AM
LOTR BFME

Send a message via AIM to sarahbobarah
Here's a head calculator from Reef Central.

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"
"The world's sexiest ichthyologist." - Eheim Madame *172*

Best Dressed Member of
. (I sit at the cool kids' table)
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 01:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
A JEBO canister filter plus shipping will probably cost the same or even less than the price of the pump alone,it just doesn't make sense to make one unless you are doing it for the fun of it .I admit ,I tried it once ,didn't work.I realized to do a project like this you should start with a good quality pump with at least 750 GPH.a powerful and silent pump like that is not cheap.
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 06:55 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
If you are dead set on building your own, why don't you just use the design of the large eheim classic canisters? They are essentially "bucket" filters anyway.

In your design, the pump is inside the filter, which would make maintanence a little harder than if you had it on the outside like the eheim.

Eheim Pimp #162: Eheim ProII 2026
post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg
Did you even take the damn time to look on eBay?

If you think a canister filter costs $300 then you really need to get out of the house more. The average price of a canister filter is about $100. The Jebo on eBay can be had for around $50-$60.

So just p*** off.

Rex, Im sorry. But I have looked. In case you didnt notice... you have to add shipping into the cost and most people on ebay over charge on shipping BIG TIME. Oh and BTW. I have looked at all the stores around here as well. The cheapest one that I found was $148. Somehow... I dont think my DIY set up with cost that much. No way. Sorry. I already priced it all. Not even close. Sorry.
post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahbobarah
Here's a head calculator from Reef Central.
FANTASTIC!!! I bookmarked that page. Thanks ALOT!
post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dood Lee
If you are dead set on building your own, why don't you just use the design of the large eheim classic canisters? They are essentially "bucket" filters anyway.

In your design, the pump is inside the filter, which would make maintanence a little harder than if you had it on the outside like the eheim.
Yes, Ive been thinking about that too.

Ive made much smaller versians of these before, but in those the filters were always on the inside. For this one, do you think it would be better to have it on the outside?

I already asked my uncle about makeing sure the bucket had a tight fitting seal and he told me to use a bucket designed for paint as it has both a rubber seal and the 'lock tight' things all around the lid so that it snaps down tighter than a regular lid.

My next thought is this:

getting the water into the bucket will be the easy part. Gravity will do that for me. However, I need to make sure that I have enough power to get the water back up and over into the tank. Will the filter (like the photo you showed me) have enough *umph* to get the water back up and over? I have little doubt that I can tinker around and make it work. I'm great at that. But what I want to try to make sure of is that I buy the propper sized pump so I dont have to buy a difrent one later. I think I will go with the earlier sugestion and keep my fingures crossed!

I will go to home depot tomarrow and get started soon!
post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 05:59 AM
The Weather's Here

PTrader: (41/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenerSideofLIfe
Rex, Im sorry. But I have looked. In case you didnt notice... you have to add shipping into the cost and most people on ebay over charge on shipping BIG TIME. Oh and BTW. I have looked at all the stores around here as well. The cheapest one that I found was $148. Somehow... I dont think my DIY set up with cost that much. No way. Sorry. I already priced it all. Not even close. Sorry.
Quick search on Ebay $60 AFTER shipping for a Jebo 350GPH canister filter with media, hoses and attachments.HERE

post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 12:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

toofazt: Give it up. He's too hardheaded to look. Notice that he is pricing canister filters locally.

Notice that he has already dropped the price on a canister filter from $300 to $148.

I will tell you that a pump that will work will cost at least $50 mail order. Then you still need to get the bucket and everything else. And that price is for a internal pump. An external pump will cost more than that.

[Edit: Unnecessary details]

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode