Is there such a thing as... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to balasharkfreak Send a message via Yahoo to balasharkfreak
Is there such a thing as...

low cost yeast? LOL

I cant get over how much this stuff cost. A really small jar of cooking yeast cost about $7.00.

Fauna: 6 cardinals, 1 baby kuhli, 1 choc gourami
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 05:03 AM
LOTR BFME

Send a message via AIM to sarahbobarah
If you have a costco, a brick costs about 2-3 bucks. And it's a BIG compressed brick. Mine lasted a year, I think.

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"
"The world's sexiest ichthyologist." - Eheim Madame *172*

Best Dressed Member of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. (I sit at the cool kids' table)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 01:09 PM
Algae Grower

BJ's carries the bricks, as well.

Filstar pimp #60 (pay no attention to the two other Eheims...nope)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 02:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (66/100%)
Fischerman yeast at your local bakery section shold be pretty cheap
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 05:57 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to fishcrazee
I agree yeast can get quite expensive and if you have it for too long it will all die and become worthelss, unless you use it for feeding daphnia, brine shrimp, microworms, whatever. The jars go for about $10 here. I have been using the ones in packages and then I'll move onto the precious jar of yeast
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 11:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I got mine at the local health food store. cost around $7.00 BUT I got a TON of it for the price. Got about 2x as much as I would have gotten at safeway for the same price.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 02:32 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by balasharkfreak
low cost yeast? LOL

I cant get over how much this stuff cost. A really small jar of cooking yeast cost about $7.00.
How much do you guys use???

A 3-pack is about $2 or so. You get about 4 shots out of one pack, so that would be about 18 cents per bottle. Jeez...

Some ppl even save what's left in the bottle and just add new water and sugar.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 03:16 AM
LOTR BFME

Send a message via AIM to sarahbobarah
I don't get it! 3 bucks for a brick! A 2 pound brick!

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"
"The world's sexiest ichthyologist." - Eheim Madame *172*

Best Dressed Member of
. (I sit at the cool kids' table)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 03:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (44/100%)
You don't necessarily need new yeast for each batch. As long as you don't leave it too long between renewing your bottles the yeast will stay alive... Just leave some of the white stuff on the bottom of the jar when you refil it.

Better yet, if you are running more than one jar..

make a batch, then when your bottle is a week to two weeks old, shake it up and dump about 30% in the new bottle, then fill both back to full with sugar/water... the first bottle will last longer that way too (kind like a re-charge).
Then when the new bottle is a week or two old you can dump the first bottle completely, shake up bottle #2 that has only been up and running 2 weeks, pour half of that back into the now empty bottle #1 and then fill both again with sugar and water. Every fith or sixth cycle you will have to clean it out good, more or less depending... You'll know when it gets grody.

I know it is more work, but what about this hobby isn't?

You can also use a lot less than most people recommend, it will just take longer to ramp up- if you start with less it will take the yeast longer to multipy enough to get a good flow going, but it will happen in 12 hours instead of 2.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 06:23 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
New to this forum, trying to hold back....

I still have not gone with a pressurized CO2 tank quite yet. I have been spending my money on new donated aquariums, better ferts, better fish, better plants, better lights ( My hobby only gets so much money per month. )

I have Aquafina bottles, 2 Liters, Juice bottles, all doing CO2 injection, some have diffusers, some have the "chopstick" wood thing, others just have a regular air stone injecting CO2.

I use the "Red Star Campaign Yeast" packets that I purchase locally for $0.50 each. I usually slap a $5 bill down and get my fix for the next few months. I always start all of my mixes with one Teaspoon, but culture them in the bowl with a mixing fork for longer per the size of the container. My nano gets cultured for like ten seconds. The larger mixes get bowl mixed for over an hour. Then I dump the culture into the mix bottle and let it crank overnight. I think it is always best to mix a new bottle up at night, so that when morning comes, the mix is at its best production (don't mix in the AM times when your plants need the CO2 saturation).

Place your CO2 rig against the tank and add some kind of insulation on the rest of the bottle to keep it going as long as it can. I use a terri-cloth towel with a rubber band as an insulator. It really helps after the first five days. So, your DIY CO2 is touching the tank for heat conduction, and the insulating towel should keep the yeast around at least 70 deg, even in winter.

** Editing again, Sorry.... Well, I have city water with only chlorine from tap. The whole boil everything and sterilize everything method only adds a day to your CO2 injection and takes so much time and effort, I could see how people don't do DIY CO2. Clean your hands really well with the most mild soap you have and don't use any kind of hand lotion. Don't use anti-bac soap, it will destroy your DIY CO2 no matter what you think. I only rinse my bottles out with hot tap water and then remix and put them back into production. **

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode