DIY Co2 slime in my diffuser? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY Co2 slime in my diffuser?

While cleaning up my plant mess in the tank I noticed that there is a mucus/slimy type of gook in my diffuser (glass micro bubble thingy) and also on the white disk where the bubbles are released. What is this stuff? is is bad for my tank( i would assume yes)How to prevent it? No yeast sugar mixture has made in back up the tube so I am curious how this is happening!

I am running two bottles of diy Co2(one 2L and one 1 Gal ) that go into a single tube via a t connect which is then routed to a seperate bubble counter/overflow bottle. I would think that this gook would also be built up in the bubble counter as well since it also is the first to have contact with the bubbles but the counter is clean and clear. my mixture consists of 2 cups sugar, one packet yeast, tsp molasses, 1/4 teaspoon baking....the typical mix...nothing fancy. any insight?

D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 06:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
I've had it with every yeast CO2 system I've had, t is usually eaten by shrimp and snails. It's strange that the bubble counter doesn't catch the stuff. I was going to suggest adding one, but it looks like you already have one. Other than that I'm not sure what you could do to prevent it, but it does seem harmless IME.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 06:48 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieYams
I am running two bottles of diy Co2(one 2L and one 1 Gal ) that go into a single tube via a t connect which is then routed to a seperate bubble counter/overflow bottle. I would think that this gook would also be built up in the bubble counter as well since it also is the first to have contact with the bubbles but the counter is clean and clear. my mixture consists of 2 cups sugar, one packet yeast, tsp molasses, 1/4 teaspoon baking....the typical mix...nothing fancy. any insight?
I had good luck with oversized bubble counters (small soda bottle). This should filter out most of the nasties (yeast, sugar, alcohol).

I noticed your recipe... one packet yeast seems like a lot, I used 1/8 or so of a teaspoon, try using less. Might take a little longer to start up full production but when you stagger bottles that shouldn't be a problem. I usually set a bottle up one day in advance.

Also, try without the molasses... and compare life span of your mixture. It's easy to experiment, you can just scribble down the date when the mix was set up, easy way to measure the number of production days.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode