Help: DIY Venturi mister... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via MSN to Martin
Help: DIY Venturi mister...

hi

Right, I'm sticking my head out here, and saying the words: I Dont Get It!

I want to setup my own wonderful mister, but somewhere along the way I get lost..

Here's how i understand it:

You tank a powerhead, preferably with suctioncups, position it so it sprays downwards towards the glass furthest away, stick your Co2 tube on the venturi intake, and that's it?

Now i've seen Tom's Design, Defdac's design and others, but the all feature some sort of canister underneath the powerhead? and something about a loopback thingy!?

Perhaps I'm making this harder than it is, but I've not completely wrapped my brain around the idea....

Anyone have a step by step design, that even I may understand!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 11:58 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (25/100%)
Using the "loopback thingie" is ok. But it will not provide considerably better Co2 diffusion than what I describe below:

Putting the CO2-tubing in the venturi intake will work. But if the CO2 bubbles don't go through the blades of the impeller the bubbles will come out small but not as small as the impeller would make them. The venturi of some powerheads is after the impeller so these powerheads will produce bigger bubbles (not good).

The best design is to have a CO2 diffuser right undernead the powerhead. The diffuser produces small bubbles that are sucked by the powerhead and further chopped up into mist by the impeller.

You can skip the diffuser just put the CO2 tubing in the powerhead suction (not the venturi suction). But the big bubble may make too much noise every time it hits the impeller blades. Also the bubbles will not be as fine as possible.

A cheap and compact way to do all that right is to put a 0.5 cm piece of bamboo chopstick (from chopsticks used in Chinese restaurants) in the end of the CO2 tubing. Then you put the chopstick in the powerhead suction (not the venturi suction).

Lastly - if it is possible - it will be best to point the powerhead away from the glass. The water should move close to the bottom of the tank and the bubbles will raise from the bottom toward the top. The leaves of terrestrial and aquatic plants absorb gasses through the lower side of the leaf. The idea is to provide the CO2 mist under the leaf.

--Nikolay
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

hi

great info...

I was fiddeling with it, and tried your method... It seems to work..

Larger view -> https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ph...e.php?n=20&w=o

like that?

What about position...should it be below the spraybar from the filter?

How do you make sure that the Co2 mist reaches all the plants? or will those that do not get hit by the mist, benefit in the usual way of dissoled Co2?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thumbs up

Think I've got it sussed...

Bubbles are cruising around the tank now... just need to direct the flow more towards the gravel.

Hopefully I will see some improvement in growth, and algae reduction...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Niko.. the chopstick tip.. will it clog up in the long run.. like a normal airstone?

so far it's running great... I even sold my AM reactor 1000... =)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 09:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (40/100%)
Thanks for that picture. I'm going to try the chopstick method myself. I'm afraid my Eheim 2213 isn't strong enough to drive my Rex Reactor. By the end of the day, I have a pretty good airpocket built up in the reactor, and no matter how I adjust the bubble rate, I still have staghorn and BBA issues. I think I may try this method with my Aquaball powerhead.

Eheim Pimp #173

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 11:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I use a powerhead with the CO2 tube just stuck into the inlet grill. It burps a blast of microscopic bubbles about once a second. It does raise the CO2 ppm in the water to 30-40 ppm and all of the plants pearl by late afternoon. This is the easiest approach to CO2 addition I have found.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode