ig you were to design a stand... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff
ig you were to design a stand...

What would it look like? what would you have in it? doors or no doors? shelves or compartments?

reason i ask is the 75 i am going to be getting needs a stand. so im going to build one. i have plenty of tools and resources at my disposal. i think i want doors on it just to hide everything, but i want the stand to be interesting to the eye as well. the tank is black so i guess i will paint the stand black as well. OR do i go and paint it with the crackle paint from kyrlon, to make it look like the old oceanic granite color. the grey with black and white flecks.

The Fish Tank, Tranquility in Motion

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
all gone now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 09:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 09:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Cinder blocks and 2x8s! jk..jk...

I've actually thought alot about this. I'd design a stand with the bottom divided into unequal thirds.
The center third would be large enough to hold the equipment, have one door held by magnets at each corner so it comes completely off, and have no door hardware showing.
One third would have bookshelves, with the top shelf covered with a wooden front for the mounting of switches and controllers. Plain black unlit toggle switches for a clean modern look.
The remaining third would be open front and lit from the top for display of a sculpture, or lit with halogen plant lights for an indoor bonsai or orchid.

The color would be flat black or grey, depending on my light fixture/hood. Ideally I'd use a pendant fixture made of large diameter PVC pipe split lengthwise, and powdercoat it flat grey. I really like the half-round shaped pendants, and would spend a few bucks DIYing exactly what I want.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 09:39 PM
Algae Grower

I recently built a custom stand for my 90 gallon. I notice you seem to be interested in having a painted finish... however, I built mine out of cherry and finished it naturally. It's very simple and classy, yet it has a 'massive' look to it, so as not to look wimpy under 90 gallons of water. It has two doors on the front. The left side is completely open with a water-tight tray in the bottom to catch any leaks from equipment. There's a small flourescent light that will be mounted to a touch switch on one of the hinges. The right side has a center-mounted drawer for misc. stuff like food, chemicals, testing equipment, etc. I divided the stand with a 1/2 inch piece of plywood. The entire frame is solid cherry with inset 1/4 inch cherry veneer panels. The top is a large piece of 3/4 inch plywood banded with solid cherry. All finished natrually. I will post pictures of it when I can get them uploaded! It's not under my tank yet, as I don't really want to drain 90 gallons of water right yet. I'm waiting until I move this fall to complete the setup.

*90 gallon planted community/discus tank * Odyssea 260w - 10 hours of 130w 6400k + 130w 6700k * Cascade 1000 canister * AquaClear 50 powerhead with DIY CO2 * Hagan bubble ladder * 250w heater - 80-82 degrees * 9W Turbo Twist * Pressurized CO2 coming soon*

*29 Gallon coming soon...?

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 10:42 PM
Algae Grower

The Stand

I designed and built a stand to match a 72" x 18" footprint tanl (100long, 125,150). It was designed to be built by someone without access to many tools. Most of the cuts are done at the local HD or Lowes and you fin at home. Heres a pic. Whats nice is you can change the looks as you wish. I trimed it with molding and still havnt figured what color to stain it....Jim
Attached Images

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 11:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Quote:
Cinder blocks and 2x8s! jk..jk...
Minus the 2x8's-I did the cinder block thing growing up as a kid for a 65gal. that I had. Covered it with a Budweiser bedsheet. Worked great.

Right now, my 29gal shrimp tank is on a 2x4 frame covered with a Green towel. The towel matched so well--it looks like the Green carpet! And, Yes, its just the frame. No Legs, no nothing. The tank sit about 3 5/8" off the floor....

Whenever I build a stand it will probably be rather contemporary. But that's a look I like.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

i want to paint it cause the tank is black and the t5's are black. so i will make the tank black or a dark dark wood.

im gonna check the mill down here for some scraps i may be able to get cheap. plus i have a 32x15 woodshop to use whenever i want to. plus its filled with wood too my grandpa has found. im just curious for ideas..i want simple but functional

all gone now

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 12:53 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via MSN to ginnie5
For my 75 we left the bottom open. There's just enough room for a 20l or 2-10's. There's a light for them and on the right side the cabinet opens in the back for my canister filter.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 01:31 PM
eds
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
My personal preference would be to include at least 1/3 of the stand open shelves, while having enough room behind doors to hide all the gear.
I think it breaks things up a bit - makes the entire setup look a little less "massive" than a large stand, tank, and canopy can look.
My current 55 stand has the center 1/3 shelves - it is a bit of a pain having my gear seperated between the 2 end compartments.
It might be tougher to design an aesthetically pleasing "asymmetrical" design with the shelves on one end, and the closed cabinet on the other.
In terms of finish, my preference in furniture tends towards mission.

55gal - Coralife 4x65w cf, xp3, flourite, Hydor ETH300w, pressurized CO2 w/ rex(TM) reactor!

30gal - 55W AH, ecco 2232, flourite/gravel, DIY CO2 w/ Hagen ladder

3gal - endlers/cherry shrimp
4W cf, Red Sea deco nano, flourite
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

im almost thinking of going half and half with it. half the tank having a semi open shelved area, and the other half having doors that will hide stuff. i do want to try and run power to the stand to free up the wall outlet its on now but that really isnt a problem where the tank is sitting/going to be sitting

all gone now

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 04:25 AM
Algae Grower

Another pic

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Picture002.jpg
This is what I built.
A botttom and a shelf on one side.
A bottom only on the left.
The base and top covers the tank frame.
canapy holds 4-4 foot NO lights and the top opens on front and back.
Just some more ideas.

Real gardeners have wet elbows.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 06:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Here's the one I built:

John P.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 03:31 PM
eds
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Uh John? You might want to level that stand out a bit before you set up the tank atop it!

55gal - Coralife 4x65w cf, xp3, flourite, Hydor ETH300w, pressurized CO2 w/ rex(TM) reactor!

30gal - 55W AH, ecco 2232, flourite/gravel, DIY CO2 w/ Hagen ladder

3gal - endlers/cherry shrimp
4W cf, Red Sea deco nano, flourite
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

john i REALLY like that stand. got any more details on it?

all gone now

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 03:55 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Damn John P. That stand look sharp..

do you have th eplans for it.. and would you mind posting them..

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode