Converting BIC pen to Threaded CO2 fitting - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Converting BIC pen to Threaded CO2 fitting

This has got to be the best way to connect airline tubing to DIY yeast CO2 generators.

Aquarium silicon does not properly stick to the plastics used in soda pop caps, so a bulkhead fitting is needed. They can be purchased, but are hard to find and therefore expensive.

A BIC pencil is the only material needed. They are very common, so look around your house for a couple.

The outline of steps are here:

1.Find a BIC pencil. Color does not matter.

2. Snap off the clip
3. Use pliers to gently pull the plastic tip off.

4. Hold down the lead-dispense button at the end.
5. Cut here(line is thin, look carefully):

6. Take your tip and cut here(thin line):

7. Attach the two back together

8. Slip through your cork or cap for CO2 generator.

9. Easy mixture changes, no leaks at all.

Done! Brilliant idea, yes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 07:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (28/100%)
Sweet! I like to use IV tubing from the hospital that I clean out. The portion that sticks into the saline bags is the part I use. You can force the pointy part into a hole on the top of a bottle cap and the other part is a perfect match for CO2 tubing.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity." - Gladiator

If I could harness the power of the sun, I'd focus it on my plants and watch them grow.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Glad you like the idea. Its real easy to clean and replace these things if need be.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 12:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
The quickest and easiest way to attach tubing to a DIY generator is to just drill a hole smaller than the tubing and pull the tubing though.

KISS principle at work.

I have used the small hole method over 100 times on different projects and never had a leak.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Drilling a small hole works, but I like to think about other things rather than if my CO2 is leaking...

Also, its a bit easier to disconnect when you change mixtures.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 02:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (21/100%)
that thing is really amazing. very resourceful.

I drill a hole in a rubber stopper and jam a rigid plastic tubing in it. But it works very much like yours there.

Mark

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 07:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by exmt
Drilling a small hole works, but I like to think about other things rather than if my CO2 is leaking...

Also, its a bit easier to disconnect when you change mixtures.

Trust me. You do it right it doesn't leak. Never. And you can cut the tubing and put a metal connector in there and disconnect it.

I have built many DIY rigs and powered pressured reactors using my method. Never a leak.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 07:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to uncskainch Send a message via MSN to uncskainch Send a message via Yahoo to uncskainch
On my DIY, I use the small-hole method Rex described. Instead of running a long piece of tubing from bottle to tank, I just cut the tubing 6" or so above the cap, insert a check valve, and then continue the tubing to the tank (or, now that I'm running 2-bottles, I run another short piece from the checkvalves to a T-connector then run tubing from there -- I have another checkvalve above the T-connector as another safety net against backflow). Anyway, by having a short piece of tubing from the bottle to a check valve, I can just disconnect the tubing from the checkvalve to refill. I just screw off the cap with the 6" or so of tubing still attached, dump out the old, add the new, and screw the cap (with tubing) back on. And, as an added bonus, the check valve keeps CO2 rom the lines from bleeding out while the bottle is absent.

But the Bic pencil plan is pretty clever, too! There's a lot of ingenuity on the DIY part of the Planted Tank.

29 g planted community tank, 2.48 WPG, DIY CO2, Greg Watson ferts --
-- 5 gallon planted Marineland 5 gallon hex with 15w 6500k CF, Excel, 100% flourite substrate -- RCS & male dwarf puffer --
-- 2.5 gallon planted MiniBow w/10w 6500 k CF, Excel -- mystery snail & RCS --
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh whoops, on the last pic I used a Rosemount cork, but for the step-by-step demo, I used a Beringer...sorry for the mismatch.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 05:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
how very MacGyver of you!

LOL I love it. I know what I will be trying next time.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 05:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
For the disconnecting part: I just hold the top and unscrew the bottle......

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 05:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
I found a brass fitting in the plumbing section of Lowes for $1.76. It was a 1/2 inch thread which attached to an 1/8 inch tube. I used a drill to put a 1/2 inch hole in my lid and screwed in the fitting. Worked great, looks great, and the CO2 (which makes carbonic acid) won't break it down. I also used leatherworking tools to pop out the 1/2 inch hole, those were a cleaner cut, but neither hole type leaks. The fit is actually so tight that you need pliers to screw in the brass fitting.

- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode