Nano Cannister Filter (56 K W) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nano Cannister Filter (56 K W)

HI Guys, I just want to share the nano cannister filter I've built based on the topics I've read here, some are really inspirig and worth to follow as example , one special mention to Curare and Wasserpest for their great ideas

I know it's a tiny tank and it could do well without filtration, but I confess I'm a filter freak and I think the HOB filter was short, so I've decided to build one myself.I used cheap epoxy plastiline (sp?) for the attachments

Here are the pics.

The Made in Mexico 1.234 liter plastic container :

I drilled a plastic piece to put it on the bottom, I supported it with a purple tube above the intake.This is for better intake water distribution.

Then goes a black rough sponge as first stage

The second stage (biological) is a bag of red lava rock (we call it "tezontle") sorry for the blur.

As last stage goes the Sera floss

The Astro 500 water pump on top

I put teflon tape to avoid leakings.

The acrilic pipes (I know they're not beautiful, I've bent them with sand)

I put a little black sponge on the intake to avoid baby shrimp suctioning

I noticed the flow was pretty strong, so I drilled the outake pipe as a "spray bar" LOL

Here the whole stuff, I put the mug just for you to see the size of the filter

As it is on test, I've put it inside a 5 gal bucket, to avoid wet carpet in case of leakings.

Now I have a question for you guys , I've noticed that the filter is not full of water, there is an empty space between the floss and top, do you know why ?

My best guess it is due to the diameter of the intake tube, maybe I need a larger one.

This is how the pipes look like, I will put them in the back of the tank as soon as the test stage finishes.

Well, that's all for now, I will keep you posted about the performance of the filter.

Thanks for watching the pics and reading this post.

My Low Tech 82 gal. planted Tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 02:25 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via MSN to Curare
the reason there is a gap of air at the top of your filter is that is where the inlet and outlet pipes stop.

If they're flush with the top that won't happen.

Nice setup, just make sure it's all nicely sealed or you'll siphon your tank onto the floor!

Like drops of fertiliser into the tank, so are the days of our CO2...
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 02:28 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just another thought...

mine, after filling up has a tendency to clear it's throat through the intake tube. just turn it on and off a few times and it will bubble back through the intake, and fill up

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hi Curare, thanks for your input.

Quote:
If they're flush with the top that won't happen.

Nice setup, just make sure it's all nicely sealed or you'll siphon your tank onto the floor!
I've tried everything but the gap appears again and again, I don't know if I can let it as it is, I hope its safe.

I will leave the 5 gal bucket until I'm sure the filter has no leakings, 6 gallon in the carpet won't be nice at all, specially for the wife, LOL.I'm thinking about changing the container, maybe a 2 liter Coleman's or Rubbermaid container that has thicker plastic.

Quote:
mine, after filling up has a tendency to clear it's throat through the intake tube. just turn it on and off a few times and it will bubble back through the intake, and fill up
Yep, I've done that and works ok.

Thanks again for your thoughts on my filter (this is my fist attempt at building filters by the way)

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 08:09 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Mine too

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 11:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
Send a message via MSN to esarkipato
Very nice! You make it look so easy. . . . .

One Q: did you use equal sized tubes for the intake and return lines? REason I ask is on my odyssea cfs4 the intake is much larger than the return.

-Ernie

: 110W PC Lights, Milwaukee MA957 CO2, Fluorite/Sand Substrate, Checked into E.I. Rehab

MY RENA FILSTAR XP3 PIMPS ME! (#67)
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Curare, hope you succeed in your first attempt too.

Ernie, thanks for your words, it was really easy, but I would like to replace the container for a thicker one. The intake tube is larger than the return tube.

Talking about the air gap, a friend of mine who read the post in a Spanish forum suggested me to add an air hose (the one we use for air pumps) on the top of the filter for the air to get out, put check valve and the hose to the aquarium, this way I rest pressure on the container, sounds like a good idea, I will do it ASAP and let you know how it worked.

Thanks for your input.

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 12:55 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Guillermo, mine has been working for some time.

About a month total now, she's just ticking away, heating the tank at the same time.

The filter is great, the tank isn't.

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Nice to read your filter is fine, the tank will be fine too, it's just a matter of time Curare, some tanks are slower to settle

Well I added the suggested air line, I'm still waiting for the epoxy plastliline to "cure" and get solid.

I'll keep you posted on how it works.

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 02:17 PM
Algae Grower

Good luck, Guillermo!
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 05:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
I've seen this done before, and would like to do it myself for a small 2 gal. nano.....

Problem is: Nobody discusses how they dealt with the electrical plug for the pump....?

Are You guys just cutting it to run it through the top and then just splicing it back together with wire nuts....or what?

Any help would be appreciated....

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 12:52 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I just cut the plug off, and re attatched the plug after poking it though the lid.

so easy, why didn't I think of it!

oh wait, I did.

post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks exmt, I will need it LOL.

Naja002, I just did what Curare said, cut the plug and re attach it, very easy.

Some people drill a hole and put a little device like this to pass and attach the wire, but the plug must be cut anyway.

http://www.kss.com.tw/e4/e4-7/m0710.jpg

I just used epoxy plastiline, maybe in the next project I will use those, and bulkheads for the water lines.

Talking about the air line, it is working very well until now, no leakings an the air gap is gone, I notice some air bubbles though, I guess it's because I'm still having the HOB working.I will still running the filter inside the bucket for some more time until I'm sure there will be no problem.

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 04:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Thanx for the replies. That what I thought was done....just seems like a fire-hazard. Was wondering if anybody had devised "A Better Way".

If You look at these threads--this one included--nobody shows pix of the spliced plug.....

post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 01:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Well, I went ahead and built one yesterday for my 2gal. Red Ramshorn Nano.

Been wanting to do it for awhile. I used a Via Aqua 180 pump (80gph), 1.9 quart Lock n Lock container and filter floss.

I bought the Lock n Lock for this a couple of weeks ago, but already had everything else..

So far--its working Good!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode