longer term DIY CO2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
longer term DIY CO2

hello all
I am doing the 2L bottle DIY CO2 thingy with one packet of bakers yeast and 3/4 cup sugar and about 6 cups of water. It is a 45 gallon tank.
I am getting 1 bubble per second for about 3-4 days and then it slows to 1 bubble per 3 seconds. It is dead in less then a week.
The question is how do I get it to last longer? I don't care if the rate slows. I just want it to produce longer term. I don't have fish in the tank yet so I haven't been worried about the pH crashing.
The Hagan packets work for about two or three weeks. I would like my DIY to do the same.
thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 03:25 AM
Algae Grower

You should search some of the recipes on the site. AFAIK, you're using too much yeast and not enough sugar. I think most recipes recommend 2 cups of sugar and 1/2 tsp of yeast. The "little" packets contain 2 or 3 teaspoons.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 03:43 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via MSN to Curare
There's not enough sugar.

I use 2 cups in a 2l bottle and I throw in a teaspoon of yeast.

It roars along. but for a 45 gallon tank I'd seriously suggest you gang two bottles up, and have them on a 2 week rotation, you should get about 4 weeks out of them.

hope that helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Like drops of fertiliser into the tank, so are the days of our CO2...

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 06:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
A package of baker's yeast is at least twice as much as You need. The more yeast you add--the faster the yeast will consume the sugars and die off. as they die off, production slows and then ends.
Too much yeast and not enough sugar.

I used 2 1gal apple juice jugs and the jello method on my 55gal and it worked great!

Jello Method

My initial setup proportions for the 1gal jug are as follows:

Initial Setup

2- 6oz. Cherry Jello Brand gelatin—Follow instructions and add 2 cups of sugar

Next day add:

2 Cups Warm water + 2 cups sugar

2 cups Refrigerated Mott’s Apple Juice-Nuked 1 min. (or just 2 more cups of warm water)

1 Tsp. Red Star Active Dry yeast-Mix in jug

Small Pinch of Yeast left Floating on top

After the mixture slows down: pour out the liquid (leaving the jello that is left over) and refill with warm water, sugar and another tsp of yeast.
Then do the same for the 2nd refill.
I add about 1 cup of sugar per cup of water on the refills.

By the end of the 2nd refill--this should last 6+ weeks, so if You do 2 1gal jugs 3 weeks a part--you should be good to go....

HTH

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thanks folks...
I did print out instructions for DIY CO2 but I guess I read "3/4" a cup of sugar not 3 or 4 cups
I will cut back on the yeast and up the sugar!
I notice people also use baking soda.
why?
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 04:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Baking soda improves Kh or alkalinity of the water. As the yeast mixture does its thing (ferment) it becomes more acidic. Baking soda just helps buffer against that.

I use baking soda when I do the straight forward DIY method, but I don't use it when I do the Jello method.

It may help or hurt--depending upon your water supply. You will just have to sort that out for Yourself....

HTH

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 04:46 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
The Jello method works fine. It lasts a bit longer. Also, try cutting them into cubes. After reading one of Rex's post I tried it out and it works out well. I think it produces CO2 more steadily than the conventional regular yeast method.

Power at its best is love implementing the demands of justice. Justice at its best is love correcting everything that stands against
love.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 05:31 PM
Algae Grower

I can tell you from experience - Do NOT add baking soda to the Jello - or at least not orange anyway. It's acidic and foams up and the Jello gels into a huge amount of Jello mousse. However, it still works - my Orange Jello foam has been going for about a month now even though I have to throw some out when I recharge it. Under pressure it looks like there's room in there, but when you open it, the foam expands again and there's no room to add anything and it blocks the used liquid from coming out.

I'm going to try my next bottle with plain gelatin - less acid and no food coloring in case it should spill.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 06:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
I will tell you exactley what I use.. A 3.5l gatorade bottle(best bottle ever) I fill it with 4 cups of suger. While I am filling it with suger there is a tea kettle heating up about enoughr water to fill the bottle up to its first plastic line(note that this bottle has 3 lines in it that marks 3rds of the bottle). Before the water boils I turn the stove off. Then I fill the 3.5l with the hot water up the the first line and shake the water around until the suger is almost disolved (note that 4 cups of suger will not disolve all the way). Then I fill to the 2nd line with luke warm water and stir again. After that I fill to the 3rd line and stir again(you may need a mall wooden spoon by this point to stir). Then I add 1/2 tsp and let it sit for 10 minutes with the lid off. Close the cap, plug it in, and wait 1 1/2 days and you will have a nice flow of Co2 for 2 weeks.

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 01:54 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Also, one thing I can't stress enough it CLEANLINESS!

If you're not going to go the Jello way, then the easiet thing to do it to use hot water to clean the bottle, then fill it 2/3 of the way up and ad the sugar then

It'll sterilise the sugar and the bottle.

Then mix up a quantity of yeast, in water, let it sit for ten minutes and add it to your bottle when the sugar water is COOL, or you'll kill your yeast.

Other microbes will infect the yeast if it's been prepared poorly

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 02:39 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Here is my DIY recipe.

2 L soda bottle – I have used the same one for 4 months now. Rinse it out with hot water
Warm tap water filled to the curve of bottle
2 Cups Sugar – Whatever is on sale
5 drops of decloinator
¼ TBS of Baking Soda
¼ TBS of Baking Powder – I have always added this after reading a university study on yeast. Gives the yeast food other than sugar.

Shake the crap out of the bottle

Add ½ packet of yeast – no special kind as it all seems to work the same.

The first day I might loosen the cap on the bottle because it usually pumps out too many bubbles. After that, it is pretty steady the rest of the week.

I have no clue how long it lasts because I change mine out every week when I do water changes. I figure I have everything pulled out already, might as well do another mixture. It only takes 5 minutes and maybe 25 cents in supplies.

29g Planted
10g Planted
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 07:09 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

How do you skin a cat?

I think everyone has "their style" take your pick and augment it to suit your requirements.

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 12:47 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare
How do you skin a cat?
Hmmm... Meow?

Power at its best is love implementing the demands of justice. Justice at its best is love correcting everything that stands against
love.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 06:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare
How do you skin a cat?

I think everyone has "their style" take your pick and augment it to suit your requirements.
I think a better question is, "what is the most efficient way to skin a cat?"

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 07:33 PM
Planted Member

Slap on some butter and garlic, set the oven to 350 and leave in for about... say 10 - 15 minutes. Light brown is what were going for. Then you just...

I did read about the whole protein and molasses and stuff for the yeast to feed on. Has anyone tried this?

love.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode