Nano PC's on the cheap - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff
Nano PC's on the cheap

So i got tired of the dead spot i was getting from the screw in compact flour. in my 5 gallon so i decided to do something about it. so i was like hmm..i should some PCs in there. here is what i did. cost me barely over 20 dollars for this and got me 18 watts of light. if i would have spent another 5 bucks i could have gotten 26 watts which i ALMOST wish i did but here we go.

i bought a cheap-o drop light from walmart, for 19 bucks and it has 2 9 watt power compacts in it. i was surprised cause they are 6500K bulbs. so yet another plus. then i took it all apart, and ditched pretty much everything but the bulbs, holders, and electronics. so i built a very simple box to hold them and painted it black. then i needed reflectors. so i went to the hardware store and bought two pre bent pieces of flashing. well they were alittle large to fit side by side so yet again i bent them alittle more. plus this way i was hoping to get more light into the tank. all in all, it works great! i still may go back and buy the 26 watt for the electronics, put the 18 watter back together and tak eit back. we shall see.

New hood without bulbs

with the bulbs in

The tank.

The Fish Tank, Tranquility in Motion

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
all gone now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 03:33 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
that kool geoff..
what kind of light fixture did you get ..
do you have a pics..
Might have to setal ur ideal..
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff
i made the fixture myself out of wood. works well enough

The Fish Tank, Tranquility in Motion

all gone now

Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 06:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to uncskainch Send a message via MSN to uncskainch Send a message via Yahoo to uncskainch
That looks great, and you're obviously getting nice plant growth with it. Thanks for sharing the good idea.

I have a screw-in CF in my 2.5 gallon MiniBow and I've noticed the "dead spot" in that the plant growth is better in the areas right under the light, but the tank is small enough that it doesn't matter too much -- I just trim regularly to keep the angled growth from the darker corners toward the light from being too obvious. Maybe I'll think about modifications, though...

29 g planted community tank, 2.48 WPG, DIY CO2, Greg Watson ferts --
-- 5 gallon planted Marineland 5 gallon hex with 15w 6500k CF, Excel, 100% flourite substrate -- RCS & male dwarf puffer --
-- 2.5 gallon planted MiniBow w/10w 6500 k CF, Excel -- mystery snail & RCS --
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 09:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Geoff, sorry to resurrect this thread but your pics are no longer there and I'm getting ready to put my own hood together "a la TheOtherGeoff" . Would like to see a pic of the "guts" installed in the hood, just so I have an idea of what might be the best way with a minimum of headscratching.

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode