Controlled DIY C02.....56K Warning.... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Controlled DIY C02.....56K Warning....

Gotcha! hehehehe

Ok, the Title is correct, but I admit up front that this is Not Cost Effective or Practical....But it is kinda Cool as a Novelty....

Pix below...

I had an IceProbe laying around collecting dust from an Exterior PC Water Cooling Unit that I built about a Year ago. The short of it is: the Homemade reservior leaked at the top because of poor design, I shelved it and haven't gotten back around to it. Otherwise, it works Great. Pic Below. I put so much time and energy into some of my projects that I just burn out and have to get away from them for a while..... This one I will definitely get back to, but I bought a water cooled case, sooooo....this exterior one is kinda moot right now.

Anyway, the IceProbes are about $150 with a Temp Controller and for that--We all know to go Pressurized!

Exterior PC Water Cooling Unit:

Dual '77 Bonneville Heater Cores, False-Bottom with 11" Fan, Dual DDC Pumps, 1gal. Reserior, 420 Watt PS, Pop-up Top, Drop-down Front, Insulated and Sealed.

There's been plenty of talk on the boards about using a bucket of water to put the DIY C02 Generator in and heating it with a Heater which turns off at night--allowing temps to drop and C02 production to drop, and then have the Heater come on with the lights to increase temp/C02 production....

Here's One Better:

The IceProbe Controller is adjustable from 85-65F. Heater comes on with lights and heats unit up to pre-set temp for increased/maximum C02 Production and then goes off with the lights. When the Lights go off the IceProbe comes on and drops the temp to 65F for minimum C02 Production and Maximum 02 for the fish and plants. And an Air-pump can be hooked up to the same timer as the IceProbe and the heater can be hooked up to the lights.

1 IceProbe will drop 10gal. of water 6-8F below room temp. The setup in the pix has 2gal of water and 2gal. of C02 Generation. A cooler would make a Great container, but I didn't have one big enough around.

I have been using the Jello Method and I am going to run this for a while and see how things go. I just put this together maybe an hour ago, so I will update this thread as things move along....

Again, its not Cost Effective or Practical.......sooooo, let's not even go there. This is a Novelty made out of stuff I already have, so let's just have fun with it!

PS. If You're an Ex-Nano Reefer looking for something to do with that IceProbe You paid good money for.......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Naja002; 03-23-2006 at 04:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 12:18 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
HiTech DIYself. Man you're twisted.

Power at its best is love implementing the demands of justice. Justice at its best is love correcting everything that stands against
love.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 02:21 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (20/100%)
This is, perhaps, the funniest thing I have ever seen.

Jim

-
In-wall, 4x55w AH Supply w/GE 9325k, 2x54w T5HO 10000k, 2 x XP3 , Pressurized CO2 and Controller with external Reactor, Soilmaster Select Charcoal Substrate

20G -Casa de Convicts

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well, the temp was 65F when I woke up. Didn't really seem to slow C02 production all that much, but some. I can remove the controller and just let the IceProbe take it down as far as it can, and I may do that in the future just to check it out. Can't seem to find any reliable timers these days, so I am currently having to turn this stuff on and off manually....

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 05:22 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
There there...

I'll hold your hand and make sure that you'll be safe.

It's pretty cool the whole "DIY TECHY" thing. Trust me. It makes my bottles in the 5G bucket seem pretty prehistoric. Hmm, actually the funny thing is that you make it seem very $$$ for all the cheapo DIYs systems out there.

I love it though.

Power at its best is love implementing the demands of justice. Justice at its best is love correcting everything that stands against
love.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
you make it seem very $$$ for all the cheapo DIYs systems out there.
Yep. That was the point of the "Gotcha" at the beginning of the post--I knew going in that this isn't a practical idea. Heating is easier and cheaper than cooling, and an IceProbe without a controller is +/-$100. But its still pretty much the cheapest ready-made "Chiller" available, so that kinda rules out Chilling for DIY C02. Howver, that old a/c, frig, or freezer could be used with a little bit of effort and a few $$$.... ,and a Cascade system would provide 1 lg chunk of ice and cool the room too.........

At least the IceProbe is being used for something and maybe I'll sell it for the $$$ to buy a Regulator setup......

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 05:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Why is your C02 yeast mix red?

got CO2?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I have been using the Jello Method
Cherry Jello Works Great, and makes a Good Cherry Wine too....

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 07:12 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naja002
and makes a Good Cherry Wine too....
That gives DIY CO2 an entirely new and appealing aspect...

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
and makes a Good Cherry Wine too....
Honestly, there's no reason that we can't drink this stuff. Prisoners use bread (for yeast) and sugar and then filter it through a Sock! Hopefully, a Clean one!

If I remember right, I think there was a discussion about actually making wine/beer and using the C02 Generation from that Process....

And, No, I don't drink the stuff, But I have Tasted it---and its Pretty Darn GOOD!

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Ok, Folks, Sadly this Experiment is coming to a Quick end....

I listed the IceProbe et al in the classifieds at Nano-Reef.com at about 2pm today and it is SOLD!

So, now I'm in the Market for a Regulator setup!

Where is that Rex anyway...........

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 01:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naja002
Ok, Folks, Sadly this Experiment is coming to a Quick end....
Even so, you still get the Aquarium Rube Goldberg award, hands down, for this effort.

James

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode