Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to dugrant153
DIY Compact Fluoro cheap lighting?

hey folks,

I'm contemplating the project posted on this website:
http://chrys.addr.com/aquarium/diy.htm

It's the one labeled 'DIY Screw in Compact Flourescent lighting.'

I have found all the pieces to make this a reality, but I'm concerned about the safety precautions of such a setup. I don't want my DIY wooden canopy to catch on fire! I also don't want there to be a short, which would cause a fire too!!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Or if anyone has done something like this and have not had any problems, I would like to know also.

Information: my tank is a 55 gallon tank currently lighted with 2 x 23W CF bulbs in desk lamps. Looking to add a bit more light to the tank for cheap. also, the tank is currently uncovered, but I'm planning to make a cover for it either out of glass or acrylic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 02:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
Send a message via AIM to nellis
my 2 cents:
i've used screw in cf lights before and can offer a few suggestions. the presentation/craftsmanship on the link you posted is horrible. Firstly, tin foil is a horrible choice for a reflector, you'd be better off with white paint. if you did use screw in cf bulbs i would order a reflector from AH supply, they're not too expensive. the screw in bulbs also have horrible scatter because of the shape of the glass... thats why the bulbs that ah supply sells are long and have minimal redundantly striking surfaces. if you use the AH reflector you would get a lot more potential out of those bullbs. lastly, rather than use wall plug couplings for the bulbs it would probably be a lot easier to get a T lamp socket, one with two screw in female ends connected to a single power cord.

this is what i did to suppliment the AH supply 36 watt strip, and i really wish i had just bought another one, because for the few dollars i saved doing it myself i ended up with a sloppy looking, less efficient setup.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 05:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
While I would really suggest an AH kit for you, why in the world would you use that instead of just using someting on here:

http://www.surplussales.com/Electric...Sockets-1.html (can be had at any lamp store and Home Depot, Lowes, True Value, ACE, etc...)

I use a fixture like that for my fry tank...maybe I'll snap a picture later or tomorrow...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 06:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Pardon, but that's a 250 volt which is what, commercial? Canadian? Not our normal 120V in any case. FWIW I've never seen a double socket like that at Lowe's or Home Depot either although I seem to spend a lot of time hanging out in the electrical section.

Not to say they might not have some hidden somewhere.

They're good at that . . .

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 09:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
The 250V ones are fine...

Look in the lamp/lighting repair section of Home Depot...you will find them there.
BTW - Home Depot's site leaves a lot to be desired!

However...

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...76L&lpage=none (You just use the double bulb part)

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 10:27 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
Send a message via AIM to nellis
yeh... that's the socket i used. the only thing with that is if you use an ah reflector you waste a lot of valuable reflector space with the length of the socket, as well as the space on the bulbs that isn't glass (the plastic housing) on my setup there's less space under the reflector being used by the actual bulbs than the plastic/metal that holds them in place. the long blubs that come with the ah kits are much better.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 01:42 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHawke
Pardon, but that's a 250 volt which is what, commercial? Canadian? Not our normal 120V in any case. FWIW I've never seen a double socket like that at Lowe's or Home Depot either although I seem to spend a lot of time hanging out in the electrical section.

Not to say they might not have some hidden somewhere.

They're good at that . . .
That's a maximum 250V rating. Anything less is OK.

Canadians use the same electrical system as you.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode