Weird problem with DIY CO2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Weird problem with DIY CO2

So I decided to build a do it your self CO2 kit and made it out of 2 juice bottles and third soda pop bottle to catch run off. I have it going for a day and I am having an issue.

Intead of hooking the tube to a ladder or a difuser, I dropped the hose under a giant piece of driftwood, figuring that the shape of the wood was perfect for a bell scenario. I got everything set up and going but my bubbles will not come out when the tube is on the bottom of the tank. As soon as I lift the tube up (about halfway up the tank) bubbles will start coming out, (pretty quickly) but as I lower it back down, the bubbles stop. (so if I were using a ladder I would be in business)

What do I do? I am using the 2 cups of sugar and activated yeast-just went and got some champaign yeast today- It seems as if I don't enough power to push out the bubbles.

Is it possible I am leaking around the holes and should seal them. I drilled the holes small and had to use pliers to pull the tubing through, and the tube is full of CO2 so not if sure if that is the problem.

I really want to vent the co2 under the wood, since I have seen such bad press on the Haggen system. I am tempted to put a sealant on the tubes and switch to the supposedly more reactive champaign yeast, but I don't want to be premature- I have been set up for 26 hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 11:02 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
Sounds like a leak in your system! Yeast+Sugar+Water can create enormous pressure, so that isn't the issue. Clamp the hose completely shut, and wait an hour and see if a lot of pressure builds up in your bottles. I bet it won't and you have to go find the location of the leak.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 11:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to dschmeh Send a message via MSN to dschmeh
sounds like a leak you said you drilled a small hole and pushed the tube thru did you seal it ?????

Eclipse system 12
heavily planted
AH 36w retro kit light 2pm-11pm
Substrate: Flourite
Pressurized Co2 with Red Sea 500 Reactor
jbj regulator
PMDD PreMix/EI

10g shrimp Only tank
Flourite Red
28w corallife aqualight
Various Mosses.
whisper 20 w/ sponge pre-filter.
Feeding HBH Lobster crab bites and Algae Wafers.
No Co2 and very light fertilization

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 11:58 PM
LOTR BFME

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to sarahbobarah
I just don't get it why people don't use test tube stoppers.... so much easier to work with. No drills or sealants.

I totally agree with dscmeh. It's most likely the tiniest leak in your bottle cap that is ok until the pressure of water in your tank exceeds the current pressure in your tube.

I used the ladder with no problems too. where is the bad press comiong from?

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"
"The world's sexiest ichthyologist." - Eheim Madame *172*

Best Dressed Member of
. (I sit at the cool kids' table)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

No I didn't seal it-I read in some DIY articles that if you made the holes smaller that you didn't have to use sealer.
Not sure what test tube stoppers are, never saw any right up on them in the DIY guides.
Seems like it should be easy enough to fix, just slap some sealer around the caps and try again.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 03:37 AM
Algae Grower

I've heard nothing but good things about the Hagen ladder.
Certainly it is better than a bell system like you want to do with the driftwood.

Have you considered buoyancy issues with pumping CO2 under the wood?
I suspect it might float or tip and spill the CO2 bubble.

Test tube stoppers are rubber "corks" for plugging test tubes. They may or may not have a hole in them for inserting a tube.
You should have seen lots of them in school.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 04:03 AM
LOTR BFME

The way you would do it is one test tube size 3 (or was it 5?) with a single pre-drilled hole on top - the hole is exactly the right size for a snug, leak-proof fit for airlines. On the third bottle - your runoff bottle - is a two-holed test tube stopper. One for the in line and one for the out line. The out line would then connect to your diffuser/ reacter.

Best Dressed Member of
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 07:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Quote:
I just don't get it why people don't use test tube stoppers.... so much easier to work with. No drills or sealants.
For most people, I'd say: Delay + Cost + Shipping

Quote:
out of 2 juice bottles and third soda pop bottle to catch run off.
The Leak is probably at one of the Tees....What type are you using: some of the airline tees aren't worth a flip for this....

Example: No Good

Example: Good

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 01:28 PM
LOTR BFME

Y connectors wouldn prolly work better than T connectors in this case too.

Best Dressed Member of
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well I have it all sealed up and just added the yeast and we will see what happens.

As far as the driftwood goes, it is actually more the size of a log than flat driftwood, except that instead of being flat bottomed like many logs, it is domed and sits on four small leg like branches-you could easily fit an average size cereal bowl under it-I am guessing it weighs about 15-18 pounds.

I hope this works as a diffusion method, right now I got about 5 bucks and 4 hours into this. So far the most expensive part occured when my wife accompanied me as I went out to buy champaign yeast. After about 10 minutes in the brew supply store, She decided she wanted a home wine making kit, to the tune of $150. I said no problem, as long as I can upgrade my light fixtures.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 04:05 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via MSN to Curare
just be patient with your DIY setup until it has enough pressure to overcome the water presssure pushing up the tube.

Also if you're going to set up a bell system it could be worth your while making sure you have some decent flow around it (or through it) so you don't end up saturating the water underneath it and getting none anywwhere else!

Good luck!

PS, old dogs and childeren, and watermelon wine

Like drops of fertiliser into the tank, so are the days of our CO2...
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 06:09 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naja002
The Leak is probably at one of the Tees....What type are you using: some of the airline tees aren't worth a flip for this....
On the Gatorade bottles, the caps are wide enough to fit the tubings in. I put out 2 bottles straight through to a 3rd bottle that's empty. From there it goes to the ladder. I haven't had any problems with the DIY system. I believe that the Gatorade bottles are pretty strong enough. 3 tubes in a Gatorade cap fits well. And I don't use rubber stoppers. I drilled the holes smaller and the lines fit in snuggly.

Power at its best is love implementing the demands of justice. Justice at its best is love correcting everything that stands against
love.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 07:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I wanted something that wouldn't shift and break seal if I wanted to pull off the hosing or twist the caps, so I drilled small enough to wedge an in-line air tube connecter in the cap (had several lying around and they only cost about $1 for 8 at the store). Didn't have to seal it and it doesn't leak a bit, and I like the fact that I can remove the tubing and replace if I need to change lengths without breaking any seals.

Something so expensive and addictive HAS to be illegal. I'm just waiting for the police to break down my door and confinscate my fish food.
What's my sign? I'm an aquarist. --- 18g Planted Guppies, 15g Planted Killifish, 40g Planted Molly, 55g Asst Cichlids, 120g Planted Community, 60g Salty Reef, 180g Planted Goldfish

___
___
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 07:29 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Amen to that.

Power at its best is love implementing the demands of justice. Justice at its best is love correcting everything that stands against
love.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

well I went to the LFS and they had the complete Haggen system on clearance, ($10) so I picked it up for just the ladder. Hooked it up to my DIY and after about a day the bubbles are now rolling all the way to the top-although really really tiny when they get there. So I am officially up and pumping. Next on the list of 2 do's is wipe out the black beard algae that is forming on the drifwood and upgrade the lights.
Who knew I would have a 2 do list on a fish tank!!

75 gallon newly planted African cichlid tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode