Just Setup a DYI CO2 and had a few questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just Setup a DYI CO2 and had a few questions

I just setup the traditional 2L soda bottle CO2 kit and i was wondering if it takes the yeast a lilttle when to start metabolizing the sugar. I am getting no bubbles yet. should i give it a couple hours or days? i checked for leaks and i added some more yeast, i wonder if i am being just a lil impatient

38gl planted, Eheim Canister, eco-complete, coblat discus,pidgeon blood discus, rummy nose tetras,bumblebee cats, krib, ah-supply 55wx4 PC and otocinclus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 06:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (28/100%)
I usually get them right away. It depends on how much yeast you put in and the water temp they start at. I usually put in about 2 cups sugar, half a teaspoon of yeast, with luke warm water filled to the curve of the bottle.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity." - Gladiator

If I could harness the power of the sun, I'd focus it on my plants and watch them grow.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

well i am not getting many bubbles at all.i am not sure whats the case, any other ideas?

38gl planted, Eheim Canister, eco-complete, coblat discus,pidgeon blood discus, rummy nose tetras,bumblebee cats, krib, ah-supply 55wx4 PC and otocinclus

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 08:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
i usually get bubbles pretty quickly also.
i use a blender to mix everything up.

2 cups sugar, warm water, 1/4 tsp of yeast.
wait a few hours and you should get bubbles.
if you're not, maybe there's a leak.

Eheim Pimp Club #190

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 08:16 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Start the yeast off with some warm water. It should start off in a couple of minutes. If not, then a couple of hours depending on how cold your place is.

Power at its best is love implementing the demands of justice. Justice at its best is love correcting everything that stands against
love.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 08:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
You can put the bottle in a water bath with a heater in it. That will keep the yeast at a temperature where it is most active. Then, you can plug the heater into the same timer the lights are on and stretch the time the yeast/sugar will last.

Hoppy
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 08:52 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
Definitely give it a couple of hours. Takes a while to get started. Make sure there is not too much airspace in the bottle.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 05:24 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to dschmeh Send a message via MSN to dschmeh
could be you have old or bad yeast it does have a shelf life and you should keep it in the fridge.
Dave

Eclipse system 12
heavily planted
AH 36w retro kit light 2pm-11pm
Substrate: Flourite
Pressurized Co2 with Red Sea 500 Reactor
jbj regulator
PMDD PreMix/EI

10g shrimp Only tank
Flourite Red
28w corallife aqualight
Various Mosses.
whisper 20 w/ sponge pre-filter.
Feeding HBH Lobster crab bites and Algae Wafers.
No Co2 and very light fertilization
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i am finally geting about 3 bubbles/sec so its going ok. about how long does the mixture last?

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 07:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)
When I had a DIY CO2 setup I ran 2 2l bottles and switched one out every week. So essentially it lasted two weeks. The problem is that they taper off towards the end then your co2 levels drop and you can say hello to my little friend (insert favorite algae here)

Brian

Eheim Pimp #134

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode