DIY Stand for 125g - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY Stand for 125g

Hello all,

After cruising the forum, I thought I would share the stand I built for my 125g. I am pretty happy with it and sharing may help give others ideas. Comments and questions welcome. Framing made with 2x pine. All exterior made with solid red oak. All trim routed and made by hand.

Robert

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 08:11 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
Looks awesome Robert. Very sturdy, love the finish and trim. When will you put the tank on it?

Welcome to the Planted Tank!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 08:52 PM
eds
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Beautiful work.
And welcome to the forums.
Any chance of a photo or 2 from the rear, or w/ the doors open to show the construction?

55gal - Coralife 4x65w cf, xp3, flourite, Hydor ETH300w, pressurized CO2 w/ rex(TM) reactor!

30gal - 55W AH, ecco 2232, flourite/gravel, DIY CO2 w/ Hagen ladder

3gal - endlers/cherry shrimp
4W cf, Red Sea deco nano, flourite

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 09:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Wow! Very nice work! It almost looks like an antique. That's what my wife meant when she agreed that I should make a stand - but she was a bit disappointed.

Hoppy
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thank you for the nice comments,

Here is a pic from the back side, and also a pic with the tank on top. As you can see, it is designed for a reef tank. Funny part of the story is once I completed the basic set up, and got all the flow set up, I posted the set up on my local reefer board. I had a guy make me an offer to buy the whole set up!! So I did, and now Im building a bigger stand for a larger tank. I think I may have actually made money off the deal....LOL.

Concerning general comments surrounding construction, I started by making the rectangular frame for both the top and bottom with 2x4's. I then reinforced the bottom frame with more 2x4's perpendicualr to the length. Next, I used (2)2x6s on each corner as can be seen in photo. It is difficult to see with the sump in way, but one 2x6 is screwed into the bottom frame on the INSIDE of the frame, and the one next to it, is sitting on top of the 2x4 frame, the same on all four corners. Once these 'posts' are in place, the top frame sets on it. Then some screws, some bracing, and voila, the basic structure is there. You will notice that there is a center post on the front, partially for support, moreso for a door brace up front.

The rest is all cosmetic with the oak and I would be happy to explain the trim work and tools used if anyone is interested.

Having just moved to where I am at now, the only tank I have set up is my kids 75g community tank, which while nice and very active, has plastic plants in it and I would hate to be shot on this forum for showing such a thing. But, in an attempt to introduce a 5 year old to the hobby, we are more focused on not feeding a whole can of food at a time atm.

Take care,

Robert

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode