Hideing a dule head sponge filter? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Hideing a dule head sponge filter?

Ok, this might be an impossible task...

But I would like to try to hide (or at least make more descrete) the sponge filter I have in my endlers tank. I need a sponge filter to protect my endler fry and my other various babies (shrimp, rainbows, snails, ext).

Any way to make it not so obvious?? I have it kinda shoved behind a bunch of big (and not very pretty) amazon swords.

The swords hide it alittle but man.. its just enough to put this already ugly tank over the top...

Ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 09:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Maybe a VERY LARGE piece of driftwood with Java Fern attached?

Sláinte!
Cindy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 11:56 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to Curare
Um

behind the fry!

No one will see them then!

I hid mine behind a wall of cambomba, but vallis works equally well.

Oh and the driftwood, but that could take up half your tank

Like drops of fertiliser into the tank, so are the days of our CO2...

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 12:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
search "mattenfilter" as it might serve your purpose.

Moved to Tucson.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 01:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Wasserpests modified Mattenfilter

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 02:03 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Rain- also runs a mattenfilter with great results. Check out her 37G thread in the photo album.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here is the tank. Sorry... its such an eye sore. *gack* oh well. It was litterly thrown togeather from spare parts I had from other tanks. LOL man.. its ugly. But the fish a breeding like crazy. lol The plants are still shreaded from my flower horn and I only just got CO2 set up into the tank.

Any ideas? And no, Im not going to put a $300+ CO2 set up or partitions in the tank... for a Endler breeding tank dont ya think thats a bit of an over kill??

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 04:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
Well, if you are really breeding for the purposes of re-sale, you'd probably be better off without all the decorations in there, live or not.

I am also breeding endlers, wasn't my original intention to re-sell them, but there seeems to be a demand for non-crossed endlers, so I have my usual fry setups going, bare bottomed, 2 sponge filters, an aquaclear mid size with a hydro sponge over the intake, all in a big 40 gallon Sterlite (like those big Rubbermaid) clearish tote. Water changes are done from a hose into the filter so no worry about sucking fry into a bucket.

As for hiding that...Kleiner Bar would probably do it...nice broad low leaves...well, at least in my experience.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If all of the plants are removed... where will the babies hide? I've bred fish for more than 16 years and one thing that ive learned is that babies need places to hide or else you dont have many babies. LOL are endlers difrent?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 07:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

Yeah, I did forget that part...while I don't have gravel bottoms (guess I shouldn't have generalized "decorations"...gobs and gobs of riccia floating and java moss like it is going out of style. That and some snails...
I would imagine that when the BBS aren't swimmng around the fry eat "food" off the plants.

And no, endlers aren't different...but wow, that color change/male/female difference...in just about 3 weeks.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

yeah. Then again I dont have to wait that long to sex them. After this many years of breeding guppies/ mollies/ platties/ swordtails ect I can tell when they are just tinsy even at a glance. My last drop of babies gave me 4 females and one male. Not bad! I was hopeing for more females
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 03:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

OK, so what is the trick. I have one tank of about 6 1/2" ones, and another tank with around 15-20 that are much smaller. How in the world can you sex them at that age...the gonopodium isn't even curling yet...all females then? In mollies, I can see it much earlier, but these don't seem to display in the same manner.

*Sorry about thread hijack!*

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I can tell via a combination of size, body type, and by looking at the belly area where it will become more obvious that they are male later on. lol

Females tend to be bigger right fromt he start. Males are also 'skinnier' looking in over all body shape. Females have 'rounder' looking bellies around the area that you would normaly look for eye spots later on. Males... well.. they dont have that roundness. As fry males tend to also be more reserved, especialy if they are in a tank with a lot of males. I belive this is due to them seeing the other males as dominent. Females...well... they dont notice at all till the males start to harass them when they are bigger.

After so long... you do begin to notice subtile things

Then again I have a male endler whos obsessed with Mystery (my young rainbowfish that I raised from a fry). I think the endler is alittle confused... thats not a female endler.... and frankly... I think Mystery is getting a bit anoyed by the unwanted ahhhh... "attention" LOL

Oh yeah: and I'm expecting Blue Shrimp soon! ;D I have two blue females who are heavy with eggs!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 08:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the tips...and now that you mention it...I do notice some of the apparent females are larger from the start. Still going...these things produce like an energizer bunny...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenerSideofLIfe
Then again I have a male endler whos obsessed with Mystery (my young rainbowfish that I raised from a fry). I think the endler is alittle confused... thats not a female endler.... and frankly... I think Mystery is getting a bit anoyed by the unwanted ahhhh... "attention" LOL
Yeah, I've noticed some similar oddities with raising young fish together. I have 2 male platies that I would routinely see with a MALE Ram, and he just recently started pushing back on them. I don't get it...no nipping, but the two platies would chase the ram around, poke around, circle, etc...Odd indeed. And at the time they were all together, there we female platies around and she got zero attention from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenerSideofLIfe
Oh yeah: and I'm expecting Blue Shrimp soon! ;D I have two blue females who are heavy with eggs!
Congrats and good luck!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode