Anyone have carpet in their fishroom? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Riley Send a message via Yahoo to Riley
Anyone have carpet in their fishroom?

I am moving into a new house here shortly. There is a finished basement, with a carpeted floor where i would be setting up my tanks. I dont want to have to rip out the carpet, so I am curious to see what people have done to avoid this problem. Thanks.

--------------

Riley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 02:21 AM
LOTR BFME

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to sarahbobarah
I put some pretty bath mats on the floor whenever I have to do water changes. And if you're really worried, you can always get a wet-dry shop vac (which also sucks up sand and wet gravel!!!).

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"
"The world's sexiest ichthyologist." - Eheim Madame *172*

Best Dressed Member of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. (I sit at the cool kids' table)
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 02:26 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I live in a very nice house and I set up my tank in the den, which has carpet in it. I put down towels everytime I do anything in there, but "stuff" happens. After a couples years of this, the carpet needs to be replanced. The only saving grace is that we plan on putting down hw in a couple months. I guess what I am saying is that it may be an impossible mission. Hopefully others have had better success.

Jeremy

55 gal., DIY stand, hood, rex reactor, & bubble counter, XP2, Coralife 65 X 4 w/remote ballast, flourite

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 02:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
No carpet in the whole house. Sure, it's easy to clean and it looks nice, but I frequently get small water droplets on the floor from maintenance and such, and they can discolor the wood floor. But, on the bright side, no permanent stains and in the event of a major tank disaster, nothing has to be pulled up and replaced.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 03:44 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
My tank is in my office, which has a hardwood floor. I really should have refinished it before I setup the tank, but hindsight and all.

Anyway, because of this water drops soak almost immediately into the wood. I found a $2 rug that slides perfectly under my stand and I just slide it out when I am doing maintenance.

29g Planted
10g Planted
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 03:57 AM
Planted Member

My whole apartment has large tiles on the floor. Carpet is not common at all in houses/apartments here. Too humid.

Stop looking at me! I'm trying to be STEALTHY!!

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 04:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
my 55 gallon is in my living room, which is carpeted. i've been thinking about getting some of those hard plastic "mats" like people put under desk chairs in offices to run along the front of the tank, at least during water changes, if not all the time... it wouldn't do much good in a tank explosion, but for the drips and spills common with water changes, trimming, moving fish, etc, it would definitely make sense.

Oqsy

Eheim Pimp #171

; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 07:11 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Our bedrooms, dining room, kitchen and hall have wooden panelled floor that doesnt really go wierd when water's dripped on it. Therefore i have a nice selection of where to setup my tanks but i do know people who have setup tanks in their lounges with carpet etc. Cover the area with some bathmats like said above and the water wont spill through and potentially ruin the carpet.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 12:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
My old place (back in ATL) had carpet...no problems. Current situation is with hardwood parchment flooring...no problems by using a bath mat...new place in a month...all carpet. I tell you the Python and a bathmat are great tools! I may need to invest in a wet-dry vac too one of these days.

Re-boot!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 01:57 PM
Algae Grower

I previously had my tank (65G tall) in a room with light-coloured carpet for a couple years...never gave it a thought and never had any problems...I simply laid down a couple towels during careful water changes (I still stubbornly use the 5-gal pail siphon and pour method...). I suppose if I routinely spilled substantially on the carpet, it eventually would stain (with dirty water)...just have to be careful. Maybe be worthwhile to invest in one of those small carpet shampooers...if you have a minor dirty water spill, just hit it with the shampooer after sopping up with a towel...larger spills would likely require a rented shampooer/vac which will both clean and suck up an amazing amount of water (cleaned up a plumbing disaster in basement this way once, worked very well - even the underpad dried out without pulling it up).

My new planted tank currently being planned using the same aquarium will be over an Oak parquet floor...will still have to be very carefull as water getting into the joints here repeatedly will no doubt ruin it...

DN
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 06:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

I have a tank on carpet. If there is a catastrophe I'll have to get the carpet cleaned or removed, but until then, I throw a few beach towels down before I fiddle.

If I had my tank on parquet, I might be tempted to use some extra wax in the cracks (if it's a waxed floor) or...throw down a few beach towels before I fiddle.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 08:50 PM
Algae Grower

well

I'd consider installing linoleum on top of the carpet, or remove the carpet. That'd contain any spills.

If you plan on owning that house a while I'd remove the carpet and seal the concrete, then leave the bare concrete floor. I'd also install a drain in the floor if possible. Ring the walls with a short backsplash and seal it with caulk, then even major spills can be squeegied away without any damage.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 04:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
I had grey carpet under my 90 and laid down towels, most of the time and had no problems arise from tank maintenance ect. However, remember that there is a tack strip against the wall that will effect the level of your filled tank. The carpet pad will compact a lot at first but then a bit more and that darn tack strip will not. Also my tack strips inner (non wall) sides are just about 2 inches from the wall so I would place your tank 2.5-3 inches from it to avoid the tack strips causing an issue.

Warning if you are using DIY CO2 That stuff stains real bad!!! and unfortunately for me I had a cat that thought airline was the worlds greatest toy. Did I mention it stains real bad.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 02:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
My tank is on full dimension oak hardwood --- waxed --- . You know what happens to a wax finish when water gets on it? I usually (if I think about it) pull the doormat out from in front of the front door and stick it there to catch drips when I'm working on the tank. It's a large, sort of industrial looking thing with a rubber backing that we got at Sam's Club.

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 03:33 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHawke
You know what happens to a wax finish when water gets on it?
Nope... just wipe it off?

All my tanks are in rooms with carpet. Unless your carpet happens to be snow-white, I don't see much issues with water. I even throw wet stinky aquatic plants on it when I have nothing else close. Then I pick them up and throw them out. No damage done.

When maintaining tanks, I am always dripping onto the carpet. But, since we are dealing with water, no problem.

Once I did a water change and got distracted and found a couple of gallons on the floor, mainly inside the stand. Again, no major problem... just a few days of fan blowing and good circulation.

Not sure why water and carpets would cause any problem... and ripping them out after a spill, or replacing a fine carpet with linoleum? Nah...

Now things like stain and glue and (yuk!) caffeinated sugar beverages are a different story.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode