new to diy co2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
new to diy co2

i have never done anything with a diy co2 before. but i have been doing some reading and just seen pix of people with this system in a planted tank and im pritty sure its like a must for a fresh water planted tank. ive found several ways to make it yourself. but i do not have any power tools. i did find a cheap diy co2 system on ebay for like 22 bux. i was wondering if it would be a good idea to get this system and then make my mixture and see how it works. my next question would be what would be a simple mixture to get co2. it says on the link for the system you can use baking soda and vinegar but it doesnt tell you where to put it or what to do with it. i am very sorry if i post something in the wrong section or ask a improper question.i am learning by trial and error no1 is showing me. thats why i need you guys. anyways here is what comes with the kit on ebay

Package included:

2x caps,

1x needle valve,

1x Pressure guage and

CO2 tubing

1x English manual

What you need to prepare this system??

2x 2 Litre of Coka Cola plastic bottle

1x 200g of Citric acid or 200ml of vinegar

1x 200g of baking soda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 05:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Do you have a link to the system for sale? The only thing you would have to worry about with a set up like that is pressure build up if you decide to turn it off over night or anytime for that matter. When it comes to DIY, pressure gauges and things like that are often pointless because it can be difficult to control the pressure and monitor how much is actually getting into the tank. I think a simple system with 1/4" line, a 2 liter bottle and a glass jar for a bubble counter would do the trick for you. Go to Ace Hardware or a small hardware store and you should be able to find a small drill and airline for the same price as that kit.

I run DIY CO2 and my mixture consists of:
- 2 cups sugar
- tablespoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of yeast
- 3/4 of bottle filled with warm water

It lasts me anywhere between a week and a half to 2 weeks.

This is the reference video I used when I made my system. You can use all of that tape if you'd like just to be careful but I just used a 15/64 drill bit to make the holes, cut the ends of my airline at an angle to get them through the holes easier and I have an air tight seal without any tape.

Last edited by hunterlook; 03-12-2013 at 05:30 AM. Reason: Link
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 05:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
That Ebay/Chinese DIY CO2 system is based on getting CO2 from reacting baking soda with citric acid. Our normal DIY CO2 system uses a solution of sugar and yeast to generate CO2. Those are very different ways to get CO2, and, so far no one has reported what the "life" of the Ebay soda/acid bottles is, while sugar/yeast bottles typically are good for 1-3 weeks. There is another thread here on the Ebay system, with more details.

Hoppy

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 07:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Update?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 08:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I run DIY co2 all you need is a soda bottle also instead of trying to build a cap for it I use the caps they sell for hatching brine shimp in a bottle eBay sells them no need for a bubble counter as you can't adjust pressure anyway but do make sure you put a inline air check like the ones used on a airpump as far as a defuzzer goes there are many ways to do it as DIY co2 don't have the high pressures of regular co2 the glass defuzzer aren't such a good option I've seen people use a chop stick with good results me personally made one from a elite mini filter it works fantastic , you need any help shoot me a PM you won't be sorry once you see your plants take off with co2 <}}><
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 11:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnighttide102 View Post
you need any help shoot me a PM you won't be sorry once you see your plants take off with co2
I am using That Ebay/Chinese DIY CO2 system. A couple of us here are trying to find the right solution to get it to last a month.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 02:26 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Y'all be hard pressed to get a month outta DIY I get between 18-20 days , the less yeast you use the longer it seems to last but it's a fine line trial and error also I use champagne yeast it has a higher tolerance to the alcohol level then regular yeast beer yeast is also good it's the high alcohol that kills the yeast which in turn kills your co2 production
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 01:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnighttide102 View Post
Y'all be hard pressed to get a month outta DIY I get between 18-20 days , the less yeast you use the longer it seems to last but it's a fine line trial and error also I use champagne yeast it has a higher tolerance to the alcohol level then regular yeast beer yeast is also good it's the high alcohol that kills the yeast which in turn kills your co2 production
The Chinese unit method is not yeast but citric acid and baking soda. Much more stable than yeast method.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 11:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (15/94%)
I'd suggest you take that $22, go to Harbor Freight, and invest in some cheap tools. Will go further than the cheap made Chinese glorified 2l coke bottle.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 11:48 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyyahoo View Post
i'd suggest you take that $22, go to harbor freight, and invest in some cheap tools.
+1.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode