Priming and painting MDF wood - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Priming and painting MDF wood

hey guys
i have a stand that i bought from a wholesaler that is made of MDF wood
and i bought a primer and an oil-based black paint.
i am wondering if anyone has any tips on how i would start.
i was going to roll-paint it and then brush it after.
i was also wondering if i needed to sand the stand down first before priming?
or if i sand it after priming?

9 INCH CUBE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 12:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I just rolled both the primer and oil-based paint on to my stand and it looks pretty smooth. The benefit of MDF is that it is already as smooth as you need so no sanding is needed first.

The actual support of the stand isn't MDF is it? I am fairly sure that MDF wood is not made to withstand a lot of pressure.

I built my stand with 2x12's and then just used MDF is the outside layer (no pressure put on it).

Here are a couple pics of the before and after priming/paiting my MDF.

Cliff
450g Planted Discus Tank - Work in Process!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 12:52 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
I would brush -> sand -> paint.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 01:08 AM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
Nice stand Cliff can we get a full shot?

I would suggest 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of oil based paint. MDF doesnt do real well around water. IE if it gets soaked it will swell distort. As Cliff said above you dont want it to be supporting the weight of the tank. At least I would trust it to do that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

alright thanks guys

9 INCH CUBE!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 01:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
As said above, you will want multiple layers of the paint (I only did 1 layer of Prime). I think I did 3 layers for the nice glossy look.

Full shot of stand, and with tanks:

Never realized I didn't have a good picture without all the items on the table in the way... I should take some new ones Plus the tank on the right is new now.

Cliff
450g Planted Discus Tank - Work in Process!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 04:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
MDF will fuzz up if you use water based primers on it. But, the best primer is shellac (alcohol) based, made by the company that makes "Killz primer". I used the shellac "sanding sealer" or the white primer - both work very well. Then very lightly sand and paint or clear coat. There really isn't a good reason to use oil based paint either. Acrylic paints work very well and are just as water resistant, plus they dry much quicker. Today's oil based paints in general are not very good. Our air quality regulations force the manufacturer to use less and less volatile solvent in the paint, plus alter the basic formulation. So, most pros use water based paint now, except for primer.

MDF does not swell in water like particle board does. If you left it in water for a long time it would swell, but getting wet doesn't bother it like particle board. In fact most siding and trim boards for houses are now made of MDF.

MDF is very strong in compression, but not in bending or tension. So, if you design the stand so no parts see a bending load MDF can carry the weight just fine. But, it is very, very heavy. The best idea, as Spar said, is to use two by something wood for the load bearing frame and just cover it with MDF for the finished surface.

Hoppy
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 07:54 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy
MDF will fuzz up if you use water based primers on it. But, the best primer is shellac (alcohol) based, made by the company that makes "Killz primer". I used the shellac "sanding sealer" or the white primer - both work very well. Then very lightly sand and paint or clear coat.
I was just about to say this as well, when there it was in the last comment.
At least we agree and there are 2 people in favor of shellac, then sand.

You might look into foam rollers as well, rather than the usual fuzzy type.
I've used them for melamine paint, but just check they will work for whatever you choose.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode