55 gal DIY CO2 set up w/buble counter & difuser - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
55 gal DIY CO2 set up w/buble counter & difuser

I have been useing DIY co2 for a while and I love it! I dont have the $$ to get an expensive set up.

So I need to make do with DIY. I have been using the 2 liter pop bottle with tubeing to a wooden air stone method and its worked pretty well. BUT now that I have a 55 gal up and running I would really like to have a more relable method of CO2 than just the two DIY bottles I have now.

How would you recomend doing this?? Ive seen a few diagrams, but Im VERY inept when it comes to reading the diagrams apparently and when Ive tried to make them... they have either just not workeda t all... or like difuser made out of the wide part of a manual tank syphan... It kept moving around and leaking and was a total bust.

I could sure use some help!!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 11:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
I would put together a manual pressurized system. If you are willing to do the leg work and build a couple of items you can do it for around $125-$150.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thats far beyond what I can afford to spend. It might not seem like much to most people. But I only earn $300 per month and have bills to pay. $300 a month doesnt go very far....

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 06:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Quote:
How would you recomend doing this?? Ive seen a few diagrams, but Im VERY inept when it comes to reading the diagrams apparently and when Ive tried to make them... they have either just not workeda t all... or like difuser made out of the wide part of a manual tank syphan... It kept moving around and leaking and was a total bust.
I am not sure what Your are talking about, but i'm assuming that you are looking for way to build a DIY C02 Reactor/Diffuser of some kind. Correct?

In the Pix You will notice the Heater Holder Suction Cups. Holes were drilled into the side of the tube and the suction cups were inserted into the holes. That keeps it from moving around. If You still have the gravel tube reactor that you made--then you just need to get some suction cups.

I found the Cracker Saver at Walmart for $2.

Also, You can add a second tube like in the pic below that will make the reactor much more efficient by returning the C02 build-up right back into the powerhead venturi and forcing it back into the system.

HTH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Naja002; 03-01-2006 at 04:22 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

YES. that is like what I was thinking Thanks so much!

One question: how do you seal it? Do you silicone around all the holes including the top where the tubeing comes in? (just guessing) & is the bottom open?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 03:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Yes, the Bottom is open, except the dark material that you see is 30ppi filter foam=(30 pores per sqaure inch) to keep the bubbles from just being blown out the bottom.

You shouldn't need any glue/silicon. Just drill a hole big enough to squeeze the tubing through.....5/32"-3/16" drill bit should do. Many folks here use 11/64" drill bit, but I don't happen to have one of those. Start with a 5/32" and go up to the next largest if You need to....Cutting the tubing end at an angle will help get it through the hole.

Once You find out what size hole you need: You can drill a second hole and barely put a second piece of tubing in and run it to the venturi hole on the powerhead as in the pic above.

HTH

Last edited by Naja002; 03-01-2006 at 04:23 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 02:32 PM
eds
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Just playing the devil's advocate a bit.
Keep track of how much you spend on tubing, fixtures, and all for your DIY set-up, as well as sugar and yeast.
I understand pressurized can be too much for a limited income, but you may be surprized to see how much sugar you go through if you are running 2-3 DIY bottles.

55gal - Coralife 4x65w cf, xp3, flourite, Hydor ETH300w, pressurized CO2 w/ rex(TM) reactor!

30gal - 55W AH, ecco 2232, flourite/gravel, DIY CO2 w/ Hagen ladder

3gal - endlers/cherry shrimp
4W cf, Red Sea deco nano, flourite
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 03:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eds
Just playing the devil's advocate a bit.
Keep track of how much you spend on tubing, fixtures, and all for your DIY set-up, as well as sugar and yeast.
I understand pressurized can be too much for a limited income, but you may be surprized to see how much sugar you go through if you are running 2-3 DIY bottles.
I agree. I use one 1 gal. jug on 2 tanks (2 jugs total). I just did the Jello method and by the time You add up the ingredients and the Labor/Time--it adds up pretty fast.

I will go pressurized before long, but the cost of the Regulator et al, Then the tank on top of it--sheesh. It just keeps coming out to a bit more than I want to spend....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode