Spray Paint In Tanks? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)
Spray Paint In Tanks?

Is it safe for fish to have spray-painted equipment in the tank? Things like plastic intakes and spraybars. I got the idea to spraypaint my XP2 intake black from THIS thread, but I'm just a little skeptical.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 08:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
i was wondering this also....enquiring minds wanna know...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 08:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
I've used black Krylon FUSION spraypaint on plastic Eheim intake and spraybar and so far there have been no ill effects.

"Insanity: doing [or asking] the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 08:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
random_aliasHow long has been painted? ..Did it have to cure? If so...How long did this process take?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevin
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 10:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I have been assuming that the problem with spray painting those tubes is that the paint would soon separate from the tubing. Did that happen?

Hoppy
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 10:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
I painted the tubes. I let them dry about 24 hours. They've been in the tank a week or two. Haven't noticed any problems.

It isn't a big deal. If you try to paint something and the paint comes off in the tank then just do a 50% water change. It's paint. Just let it dry before submerging it.

If you're really worried about it oozing off and killing everything paint an area and stick in a bucket of water for a couple days to test it. FUSION is made to paint plastic lawn furniture. That stuff gets wet all the time.

People have painted intakes and spraybars before. Never heard of any problems. Just be sure to use paint designed to adhere to plastic.

"Insanity: doing [or asking] the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 09:32 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking curiosity

What was the final outcome?

My concern would be the chemicals leaching into the water. Have you had any problems yet? I painted the back of my tank (out side) and I am now contemplaiting on a conister, but as you say Eheim has green intakes that will show against a black background. If this indeed works I will def. consider this idea.

Thank you for the Idea and update.
Chapy
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 09:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ive been testing the Krylon Fusion for about a month now and have not had any problems. I am the type that worries too much about chemical and such getting into my water, but I will have to say I comfortable using it.

I am really amazed how it works and I would only want to use it with plastics. It does bond with the plastic and you can handle what you painted after just 15 minutes after spraying it (try that with regular spray paint).

29g Planted
10g Planted
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 12:30 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
I've had a spraybar assembly painted with Krylon in my reef tank for over 3 years with no ill effects. I sanded the PVC and gave it two coats, 24 hours between coats and let it dry another 24 hours.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 07:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
I'm in line with the others on Krylon Fusion. I have a full length pvc spraybar and an intake that are painted black--after about a month so far--no problems. American Traditions Plastic enamel also works....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)
I used a different brand of black spray paint for plastic for my parts without a problem. I'll try to dig up the name of it later. It was the only brand of it that they seemed to carry at Home Depot.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 04:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
i've used black krylon fusion in a malawi cichlid tank on plastic rain gutters for making multiple levels of caves. i never lost a fish or noticed any adverse effects from the paint. I painted two coats and let it dry for over a week, and then soaked and rinsed and soaked and rinsed before finally decided to stick it in the tank. it seems that krylon fusion is fish safe, but i can't speak for any other spray paints. this stuff also works fairly well on pvc, but be sure you sand it with a COARSE sandpaper first to give it something to adhere to, because it really doesn't stay on pvc well without the surface being rouged up a bit.

Oqsy

Eheim Pimp #171

; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 03:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Also make sure you remove all the glue from the price tags. The paint does not adhere to the glue and wipes off leaving you with a bright white rectangle.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode