PVC tubing with canister filters. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
PVC tubing with canister filters.

I知 thinking of using PVC part of the canister filter runs. I知 thinking of making up some large U shape peaces to go over the rim of the tank. That way I can suck the water at a lower level and dump the water back in about 5 inches down. I would be doing this for a few of my canister filters but have not figured out the pre screens on them. I know I could use a sponge but I don稚 want to use them. I think it would be easy to hide a few PVC pipes then some of the setups that come with the filters. Anyone doing this yet?

I know you would need to keep 2 or 3 feet of flexible tubing to help with cleaning of the canisters.

nailed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 09:58 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
Yes I have made a 3/4" PVC outlet for my canister filter. I used a metal spring to give it a nice round U, and feel like it gives me a better throughput than the original edgy one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 06:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Cap the end of the intake and drill a bunch of small holes in it--the smaller the better. Just take the last 2" and drill a Bazillion little holes in it. The smaller they are the hard it will be for anything to get inside or sucked in....

The pic at the link below applies to other things, but its basically what I'm talking about:

Drilled PVC

You don't need to glue the end cap on--it will fit plenty tight and can be removed later if need be....

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I知 thinking your meant to put on a different post.

But I did cut all of my PVC and only spent $15 but I have not glued it all up yet. I do need to order some ス MPT strainers one day next week but I値l do it at some time. one nice thing about the way I did it if I need to do a quick water change then all I will need to do is get the hose and drain off the intake tube and to fill put it on the out tack tube. When I glue it all up I値l post some pics so you see what I mean. I should glue Tuesday I think.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 09:53 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nailed
When I glue it all up I値l post some pics so you see what I mean. I should glue Tuesday I think.
Please do keep us posted.

Jeremy

55 gal., DIY stand, hood, rex reactor, & bubble counter, XP2, Coralife 65 X 4 w/remote ballast, flourite
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

it looks like a 4 handed glue job. any one in roanoke VA? well if not i will try to get it on tuesday

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode