Speeding up driftwood - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Speeding up driftwood

Hi there,

just been scrubbing like mad a piece of driftwood i found whilst working past a stream. I was wondering i had to leave it to soak for ages, or if there is a non-toxic varnish and paint to seal the wood.

any other tips are welcomed, thanks

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 06:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)
why do you want to seal the wood? If it's going to sink it has to absorb water and will never do that it it's sealed. If you're worried about parasites or other microorganisms then you can simply boil the wood.

Brian

Eheim Pimp #134
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

it already sinks... and i was worried about it leaching the water.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 06:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)
If you're worried about leaching tannins into the water just boil it, or soak it. The tannins won't hurt the plants or fish but it does look kind of funny.

Brian

Eheim Pimp #134
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

hmm ok thanks for the advice. Im guessing that while soaking takes about 3 days boiling takes a day or so?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 07:39 PM
BSS
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Soaking length will depend on the wood. I bought some from an lfs, and have been soaking it for over a month now. The one piece is too big to boil (though I might be able to do it in phases) and I've been too distracted with other things, so the wait hasn't been unbearable. But, it is starting to get a bit lengthy...

46g bf, XP3 w/ vertical spray bar, CO2 w/ SMS122 & diffuser,100% Flourite, 96w+55w cf AHS, AGA Member
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

the actual branches of this mangrove styled piece of wood are only around 2 inches so it shouldnt take long.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 10:16 PM
Planted Member

If its small enough, IME a pressure cooker will pull a lot of tannins out quickly.

"Even if I died in the service of the nation, I would be proud of it. Every drop of my blood... will contribute to the growth of this nation and to make it strong and dynamic."
Indira Gandhi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 02:35 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to vandyll Send a message via Yahoo to vandyll
The pieces that I got from a LFS on Thursday have been soaking since then. I've been doing "water changes" on the bucket they are soaking in and it's starting to look much less amber now (the water that is).

First soaking was half hot water, half boiling water and then hot water every change since then. Probably going to call it good enough tomorrow and add them and fill the tank. So, we'll see how it goes.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 04:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
use w/c water, I found that when I did I got a lot of tannins out right away even if it was sitting in a bucket of normal (well) water and it was clear.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 11:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via MSN to Curare
I've been soaking a trunk that, dry wieghed about ten pounds, I've been soaking it a big 60 litre tub, and changing the water when the tannins get really bad, and filling it up with hot water. it's been in there over a month and it's got a long way to go, but for smaller stuff, a good afternoons boiling does the trick.

Like drops of fertiliser into the tank, so are the days of our CO2...
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 02:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
If you are doing your water changes tannins aren't an issue. Besides, some very light activated carbon treatment should take care of it when it gets bad.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 06:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
Don't tannins surpress some types of algae? Might be something you'd want to keep around.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 11:29 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have a question; I found a piece of driftwood that I canít possibly boil. It's about 1" to big to fit in my Turkey Fryer. If I soak it in Boiling Water, how long is good enough for the parasites / bacteria? The Tannins is not my big concern.

The piece is about 10-15 lbs. and 24" Long, 12" Tall (at the tallest piece), and 10" wide. It's an 8" +/- dia. tree broken off with a good chunk of the root system intact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSS
Soaking length will depend on the wood. I bought some from an lfs, and have been soaking it for over a month now. The one piece is too big to boil (though I might be able to do it in phases) and I've been too distracted with other things, so the wait hasn't been unbearable. But, it is starting to get a bit lengthy...
Not sure I can wait that long BBS. I will if I have too, but.................
Thanks for the help...................

Dallas Cowboys 4 Life
Pray for what you want, but work for the things you need.
Pain is just weakness leaving the body......USMC
Sensitive isn't crying at movies........It's knowing a bass is nibbling on a jig 15' down
------------------------------------------------
Check out whatís going on at the Call Access Expo

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 12:15 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via MSN to Curare
If you get stuck and it won't fit in your turkey fryer, find somethng bigger,

I use my laundry trough if its' not too big, and just keep the hot water up to it, for a week or two.

you should be fine. Once it sinks I lose patience anyway.

Like drops of fertiliser into the tank, so are the days of our CO2...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode