Is my DIY C02 Working Properly? Advice! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 04:39 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is my DIY C02 Working Properly? Advice!

I have set up the DIY C02 system. I used a 4 liter juice container with 4 cups of sugar, 1 tsp of yeast, 1tsp protein powder, 1 tsp of baking soda.

Air is coming out of the tube so i'm guessing the yeast is creating the c02.
I have placed the air tube under my aquaclear 300 intake, so the bubbles are being sucked into the intake and being crushed in the filter.

The problem is, I haven't noticed a change in ph for hours. Howerver, I can see particles/bubbles floating around the tank.

How can i tell whether the system is working? Is my method of diffusing no good? I have the water line as far up as it can go because I heard the shearing force of the aquaclear if the water is not topped up can disperse the c02 into the air.

Also, should I go back to using a chop stick stuffed into the end of the tube? That was creating very fine bubbles but I dont' knwo if it was working.

Should I stick a piece of chopstick in and place it under the intake???

Would appreciate any advice. I really want this to work!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 05:37 AM
The Weather's Here

PTrader: (41/100%)
Wait untill tomorrow morning. DIY CO2 usually takes 4-8 hours to start working. The bubles you see coming out is just the air that was in the juice bottle. All the air has to be pushed out before you will notice CO2 in your aquarium and your pH drop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 08:51 PM

toofazt now how do u know that its air i dont think it would take to long for the air to be gone and not co2 and mf how big is your tank???

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 12:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John S
toofazt now how do u know that its air i dont think it would take to long for the air to be gone and not co2...
Common sense, and simple observation combined with experience.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Actually, he was right, it was just air. I have a pressure valve, and i turned it down really low, so the oxygen was just seeping out slowly.

Anyways, I got the c02 going into the tank. I created a bell with a plastic bottle and window mesh per somebodies instructions. It seems to be working well however, should it be put in a place where there is good water flow? Ie. Beside the aquaclear intake?

I am a bit confused as to how this process works. So, if the C02 is trapped inside the bell it will eventually dissolve into the water?

Right now I don't see any bubbles on the plants, but when i put my hand in, there are tons of bubbles on it. Also, i turned off my UGF to minimize water disruption.

I have tried three methods, the aquaclear intake (it was kind of noisy and i heard that you lose a bunch of c02 when it comes out of the filter), chopstick -- it created really fine bubbles, it probably works, and this last method.

My ph seems to drop a little bit, but not to 7.0 or 7.2 like I want it to be. Right now i'm around a 7.5-7.8. I had my kh tested today and it was around 5.5 dh .

Any advice? I'm not using a cannistor filter, so an external reactor isn't an option.

Thanks!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 02:55 PM

Unless you have done a recent water change, it might take a while before you see the bubbles. My plants donít start really pearling till about 2-4 hours after the lights are on. Iím guessing thatís how long it takes for the plants to saturate the water with O2.

Iím running DIY CO2 and my pH swings have leveled out to about .5 (6.7 day / 6.2 night) and I have very soft water. I run mine (about 3 bps) through the intake of my canister filter and very little to no bubbles get blown out so Iím sure its getting into the water (though I can hear it hit the impaler at times).
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

I wonder, does the fact that my aquarium hasn't completed a full cycle have anything to do with lack of c02 effectiveness?

My ph is stable but i'm wondering if i should hold off on the c02 for a few weeks.

I've lost a few fish over the last few days, but I think thats due to fighting and is unrelated to c02?

One platy was upside down on the bottom of the tank moving his fins but not swimming, is that c02 poisoning? I also can't find one of my Sorgeiis =(

Oh one more thing,
I switched the order of the filtratino on the aqua clear so the sponge is now on the top. I found this will protect my zebra danios if they jump in again. My question is, does this negate the effects of the aquaclear? Or is it fine to do this. Right now it is Charcoal > Biological > Sponge
Advice?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Good news, found the ansorgeii , she crawled down the UGF pipe when it was turned off and i saw her peaking her head out of the bottom. Turned it on, she was vacuumed back into the aquarium.

bad news is, I still need advice on c02!

thanks

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode