Who is using the "Rex Reactor"? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Question Who is using the "Rex Reactor"?

I think it would be instructive to find out who is using the "Rex Reactor".

Specifically I would like to know about those who are able to inject CO2 using their Rex Reactor and see NO BUBBLES coming out of their spray bar.

For those people I would like to know how many bubbles per minute you are injecting, and the diameter and length of your reactor, plus any media you placed in the reactor or other modifications that go beyond what Rex outlined in his article that you think might explain why you can inject CO2 with no bubbles.

Edit: Mine is 1.25" diameter, 18" long. I am getting very tiny bubbles with my CO2 flow rate at 60 BPM. I am going to either take it apart and put in some bioballs or other media for turbulence or build a new one 2" diameter.

Regards,
Barry
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FILSTAR Advocate #39
Member, Minnesota Aquarium Society
29 Gal. - 100% Eco-Complete/2x65W CF/CO2/Filstar XP2/RedSea500/KH:3/GH:5/pH:< 5.5/EI Dosing/WWC 50%

Last edited by banderbe; 01-24-2006 at 12:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 01:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Using one on my Eheim 2026, and no bubles coming out.
2" diameter PVC, 20" long (I know,over kill), no mounting angle.
Injecting about 90 BPM, no media inside the reactor.
Water in from the top, out from the bottom.
The only mod I made was to use y's instead of t's at the ends so that the water would have a smoother flow.
I ran the co2 line from the top to 3/4s of the way inside the reactor. That gives the bubble about 15" of travel against the flow to dissolve it.

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 03:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban
I use something similar with no problems.....

jB

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 05:15 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Soon to be using it. Picked up the parts this weekend at HD and waiting for the new regulator, tank, and controller to be delivered this week. My local HD didn't have all the exact parts but I adapted in keeping with the main "theme". Twenty bucks including a 10' length of 1.5" pipe, can't just buy a 2' section...

I'm going to run the output of a Magnum 350 into it. Hopefully by this weekend it will be up and running.

Don
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 05:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
I'm not taking anything away from Rex or his wonderful site, knowledge, assistance provided here and elsewhere, but I am not sure that is really a "Rex" reactor.

Using different forms of PVC pipe based reactors has been around for a while...and undoubtedly, a few of us use a combination of those designs. At any rate, here is what I use.

Mine was based of the hoftiezer one.

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 07:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

I was using one before it it had a name other than "CO2 reactor."

2' ABS 2" pipe (pre cut) at about 30* angle. About 1 BPS. Not sure if buble build up as it is not clear pipe.

Moved to Tucson.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 01:43 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Also setting one up this week, I am going to use the straight through design with a slight angle (2" x 24"). I bought the y and t style tee, but decided to go with the t fitting (not sure why). It's already together and waiting for the regulator, I'll post the results.

Also jhoetzl nice find on the pipe clamps at Lowes, I am going out tomorrow to look for them to install on my 65reactor. Do they disconnect easily and what section did you find them in?

Jeremy

55 gal., DIY stand, hood, rex reactor, & bubble counter, XP2, Coralife 65 X 4 w/remote ballast, flourite
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 02:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
Those clamps were with the other pipe hangers. And yes, a flat head screwdriver and they release easily.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 08:40 PM
wob
Algae Grower

I use a 2" dia x 24" long RR. Very few, if any bubbles come out. It is on the outgoing side of my pentair aquatics heater and mechanical modules, with a quiet one 3000 pump driving it all.

Robert
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 02:21 AM
Algae Grower

LOL OK so I made one of these nifty reactors last night. Get home from work today and cant wait to hook it up and see how it works. Made my own little bubble counter so I can see that the CO2 is running like it should. So I hook it all up and turn on the filestar and what happens??? I forgot to get a check valve and my bubble counter fills up immediately! Seeing how this can't be right I take the tubing off of my CO2 cylinder, the halgen or what ever it's called, and water starts spraying me in the face LOL though it was a little funny. So I'm off to Walmart to get a cheap check valve for now. Hope thats all thats keeping me from having a great working reactor. I wish I could put some pics of it up. I didn't using any T's or Y's at all. Just two 45 degree end pieces where the hose barbs are plugged into. Theres basically no restriction to the flow at all. Just a straight shot down the pipe and back up to the tank.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 03:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
I may start building them that way also. Just a straight though shot. I'm pretty sure I can run the CO2 tubing though the sidewall and keep it water tight. Would make the reactors very easy to make and much cheaper if I was using no T fittings.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 03:28 AM
Algae Grower

It worked perfectly. I used a 1.5 inch PVC with two 45 degree elbows. There were also some 20 degree elbows but I thought the 45 would work better for me since this is going on a 20 gallon tank and I'm limited on space in the stand. I didn't want to put any strain on the hoses. The threaded end caps that I used were for a 3/4 in hose barb and the caps where curved inside so when it was all put together there are no flat spaces or corners in the reactor. Just a nice rounded cylinder. The 45 elbows had a few flat spots on the outside of it and thats where I drilled my hole for the CO2 tubing. It's nice and sealed. If I didn't have to spend $6 on the 10 foot piece of PVC the whole thing would have cost me 14 bucks to make.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 04:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
eheim 2217, ~14-16" reactor, ~65-75bpm on a 55 gallon tank... CO2 ~ 35-40ppm with no bubbles coming out of the spray bar. Oh, using 2" pvc and a coke bottle bubble counter. working perfectly so far!

Eheim Pimp #171

; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 08:16 AM
Algae Grower

OK now I'm not sure if the CO2 is getting into the chamber or not. Wish I had made it with clear tubing. Seems like it takes an awfully lot of pressure to blow air into the reactor. I'm using a diy CO2 and not pressurized. Another thing is that the reactor makes allot of noise for some reason. Like a trickle filter would if your tank was low. Must be air in the pipe from initial fill. I'll have to take it out of the bracket and see if I cant turn it and force the air out. I'm having an idea for my next reactor. I'm thinking clear flexible tubing coiled. I can get twice the distance with half the space. Hell I probably could triple it if not more. Basic principle with the PVC but I plan on adding one of those glass air stones to the CO2 so I can get many fine bubbles. Let me know what you think of the idea.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 08:30 AM
Algae Grower

Alright turning the reactor upside down let a nice bubble of air out and the trickling sound is gone. Thank God! But I'm still not sure if the CO2 is making it's way in. I can see a tiny bit of water in the line that hasn't moved yet. Might not be enough pressure to push it through. Hope the plastic container I picked up for a bubble counter can handle it. If not I might have to go with something a little more durable. Wish I could of found something made of glass. Has anyone had any problems with a DIY CO2 and this DIY reactor????

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode