Tilting the reactor - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tilting the reactor

Some have posted that their DIY reactor worked fine mounted vertically, while others stated that they needed to tilt them. The Rex design has the CO2 tube protrude into the water flow and his experience is that you do not need to tilt. There are other designs that use a fitting to inject the CO2 wherever that fitting happens to be located. Is that the reason for needing to tilt?

Logically it would seem that tilting is done to increase contact between the water flow and the CO2 bubbles. If you needed to tilt your reactor, what orientation did you use? Is it aligned so that the CO2 enters the "earth" side of your setup so it rises up into the water flow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 08:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Mine is slightly tilted so the co2 rises and meets the downward flow of the water...but my reactor is a bit more modified than the conventional ones out there.

Re-boot!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 08:57 PM
Algae Grower

As you pointed out, I've seen people tilt their reactors to maximize contact time between CO2 and the water column. Normally this has been done on reactors that seem to have been designed to be used vertically, which leads me to the conclusion that the reactor is not designed for the water flow rate being used. You may have also noticed people reducing the flow rate on their pump's output (the reactor's input).

If your flow-through reactor has its input at the bottom with output at the top, regardless of where you input the CO2 it will quickly rise to the top and have a greater chance of passing into your tank in bubble form. That's why you'll see reactors designed the other way around. CO2 and water input at the top with output at the bottom. The CO2 will naturally rise, but the water flow is constantly moving down. This creates greater suspension and more time for the gas to disolve into the water column. There are variations on the theme, but you shouldn't run any design upside down from the way it was intended to be set up.

Lastly, inserting CO2 into the bottom of the top-down design will likely be counter productive as the water flow will force CO2 bubbles into the output line before they've had a chance to disolve.

Bruno

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Hi Ed -

I went and looked at the pictures you have in your photo album of your reactor. Did you try it vertically before you tilted it?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode