LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
JBN
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Location: Huntington Beach, California / La Jolla (San Diego), California
Send a message via AIM to JBN Send a message via Yahoo to JBN
DIY Mini Canister Filter for nano tanks

Alright so I've been searching for a mini canister filter for small tanks (like under 5 gallons) and I happen to find this site where it shows how you can make a mini canister filter for under $10 bucks. Pictures and steps are clearly written:

http://www.petfrd.com/forum/articles...rtid=87&page=1

A picture from the site:

More pictures:
http://forum.o-fish.com/viewtopic.ph...0196154f78780a
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 04:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
great find! thanks for posting! I've been trying to come up with something like that for my desktop nano (which has a red sea nano filter totally overwhelming it at the moment... scaling down the hoses for "pico" tanks should be a piece of cake.

Oqsy

Eheim Pimp #171

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
post #3 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
JBN
Planted Member

Glad I could be of help Oqsy . This is a REALLY simple canister filter that would be perfect for those with the Ocean Free tanks

post #4 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 04:56 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I lost that link when I swapped computers to my new one--thanks! haven't visited Petfrd.com in a while...need to swing by more often.

"I go right into the aquascaping without any design."
-Takashi Amano
post #5 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 05:36 AM
Planted Member

It's a Singapore site, so prices and availablity of things needed will vary...
post #6 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 04:16 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
Interesting find there.

Looks good, but I'll just stick with my Red Sea nano for the while being. Already have them up and running and the only thing that shots in the tank is the wiring from the heater and the uplift tubing from the HOB.

Eric

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 05:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
ok, already given it a try, and I can say that the Lock & Lock brand must be made of a different plastic than ziploc "twist n' loc", because mine cracked beyond use after trying to poke the first hole... I was able to salvage the job with the second container (came in a 2 pack) what will probably be usable now that i've used half a tube of silicone on it... then again, it might leak, but I'm too dizzy from vinegar fumes to know the difference right now. I'll report back with pics if it works, if not, I'll try again with a tougher plastic that doesn't shear so easily.

Oqsy

Eheim Pimp #171

; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
post #8 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 09:59 AM

PTrader: (27/100%)
A pump for $3? Thats a rare find in the US.
post #9 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 12:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
This is a great find. And the concept is very scaleable. My head is spinning with the possibilites of a 5 gallon bucket, and a mag5! I have sitting around Too bad I don't need it, but I'm still thinking about it.

The Twist and Lock containers are actually a hard plastic, and I have a crack in one that I used to store my ferts in.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #10 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 01:49 PM
cxz

I think I'm going to try that.. for my 5-ish gallon tank.. would be great to be able to hide the pump in the shelf behind..

and maybe for a 8-10 gallon I'm planning on getting after christmas..

but for filter material.. what should be used?

those blue filtermats?

and wouldnt it be better to have the pump placed on top of the canister..
when you filtrate the water, the larger, heavier particles would fall to the bottom instead of just clogging up the filtermat...
edit: i should have read the whole thing I should try reading before posting..
post #11 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
JBN
Planted Member

I think you can do this DIY canister on a large scale size by increasing the pump size and the container size. I already have two extra pumps that I'm not using but one of them is too weak and the other too strong LOL. I think you can find a cheap pump somewhere . BTW, I think Harbor Freight sells really cheap fountain pump too.
post #12 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 09:20 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
easiest way to find a cheap pump - ebay!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7732619360

40 gph, same flow rate as the one in the article (=150 liters/hr)

or if you want a little stronger pump 79gph -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7732144491

just search the seller's other items for more of the same pumps if these autions have ended.

btw, amazon.com and target.com sell those lock 'n lock containers, but u have to buy a set of them.
post #13 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 07:59 AM

the link seems not to be working on my sister computer.I am interested in making this for my 5-ish gallon tank that I am going to house some cherry shrimp in to breed.Thanks!!
post #14 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 10:23 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
the links should work, if not I guess u can just search for the seller - artflowdesigns.com

or use the search term "submersible pump" that's how I found them.
post #15 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 12:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBN
I think you can do this DIY canister on a large scale size by increasing the pump size and the container size. I already have two extra pumps that I'm not using but one of them is too weak and the other too strong LOL. I think you can find a cheap pump somewhere . BTW, I think Harbor Freight sells really cheap fountain pump too.
Only thing you have to watch is time and money. With the Zoo Med 501 available for under $30 I would have to be able to build the filter for less than $10 and in less than an hour to make it work for me.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode