silcone sealant - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/100%)
silcone sealant

so i got a bottle of silcone sealant, and it says 100% silicone sealant clear. the brand is GE and its the silicone II window & door type. i found out it said not for use in aquariums on the label, i thought it would be safe because its 100%. is it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 08:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
It is not. The reason it says that is because it contains a toxic mildewcide that will leach out into your aquarium water. Most silicones contain it.

I've heard that certain silicones made for use around food preparation areas won't have the mildewcide, but can't remember names. Maybe someone here knows or you can find it with a forum/web search. Otherwise, it's best to stick to a silicone expressly made for aquariums.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 09:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
i'm pretty sure that GE Silicon I Window & Door is used by aquarists all the time, even though that label also advises against it. I think that silicone I uses acetic acid for curing, and silicon II uses acetone maybe? I've read all about it a while back when I was considering something similar to Scolley's Big Clear Kahuna. From what I gather, 100% Silicone with acetic acid *not* acetone is aquarium safe, but it seems to me that even the acetone would be fine once the silicone cured, because it would evaporate out just like acetic acid... the more I think and type, the less sure I am of anything. You should really pull up scolley's thread and do a search for silicone within the thread and read about his experience. he found that all 100% silicone are NOT equal, and that they are graded for certain applications, and that a line of GE silicone called "RTV" something was many many times stronger than any silicone you will find in wal-mart/home depot/lowe's/ace/etc., and even the "aquarium" silicone found in the lfs (although some are repackaged GE "RTV") hope this gets you headed down the path to information, even though I'm not quite offering enough tonight

Oqsy

Eheim Pimp #171

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 11:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Found some solid info. Here's links to the original sites with relevant quotes.

From http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...921215031.html:

"G.E. Silicone I (not II) is aquarium safe. It used to be marked aquarium safe a while back,but has since been removed due to a contract with one of the name brands that is sold in Pet Stores for 5 times more. It is also marked "Windows and Doors ,100% Silicone, Clear."

From http://fins.actwin.com/killietalk/mo.../msg00045.html:

"If you want to experiment with an inexpensive silicone sealant, try the
GE "Window & Door" sealer. There are *TWO* kinds, both GE brand: One
says "Silicone" on top - that's the good guy, the other says "Silicone
II" - stay away from it... One can not overemphasize YoHoHo's warning about "mildew resistant"
formulations. Years ago, GE used an arsenic compound for this purpose
(no wonder it killed fish!). Now they (and other manufacturers) are
hiding behind "trade secret" and give only a chemical registry number.
"

From http://www.wetwebmedia.com/aqrepfaq3.htm:

"Use only the silicon that specifically says on the package for aquarium use!!!! All the others have midewcides that will kill fish... GE Silicone I has been aquarium safe to date, but II is not."

And finally http://www.gpasi.org/mar02.pdf. In this link, someone actually e-mailed GE and asked them what's up:

The email response I got was:
We always tell customers the same thing in regards to aquariums. What we tell them is that
we don't recommend any of our products for underwater submersion, but some aquarium
manufacturers choose to use our products anyway. The products they use most often are
RTV108 or IS808. These are industrial grade products. Our consumer grade (this means
they would be found at Home Depot or a local hardware store) offset to these industrial
grade products is GE012A (Window and Door Silicone I).
"Not for aquarium use" is on our cartridges for legal purposes. Silicone bonds can fail
underwater, especially on porous substrates (aquarium manufacturers use our products on
glass aquariums, glass is not porous).
Another GE representative added:
If you do use a silicone, make sure that you let the silicone cure for a full 7 days before you
introduce fish into your tank. I would not use the Silicone II in your aquarium.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 11:33 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I suggest stay on the safe side and use safe ones such as aqua mate.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 01:11 PM

I can get aquarium grade silicone for $4.00 a tube or $635 for a 55 gallon drum, wholesale of course
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 05:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've always used plain ol silicone of varying brands, just make sure it's 100% silicone with no additives to prevent mildew etc. If you look at the warranties on the supposedly "aquairum safe" stuff and compare it to the warranty on say GE's product, they're essentially the same as far as what they'll do in case of failure.

In other words, my GE tank fell apart, GE says silly wabbit, didn't you read the disclaimer about aquarium use, the "aquarium safe" stuff says sure we'll cover your loss, you paid $10.00 for the silicone, here's a check for $10.00.

Of course there's always that "you may have other legal rights not listed....." which basically means there's a lawyer smiling somewhere.

What I really want to find is the black adhesive Oceanic uses, I love the look.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
opening soon
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 08:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I have seen black silicone in only one place, it's sold in automotive stores for windshield replacement. I have no idea if it's safe or the same thing Oceanic sells though!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 09:53 PM
Everyone has an opinion

PTrader: (88/100%)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/100%)
alright i guess ill have to get the other kind to be on the safe side

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode