diy co2 for a 5 gal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
cxz

PTrader: (0/0%)
diy co2 for a 5 gal

well.. I need help with a diy co2 setup for my 5 gal cube..

I tried a recipe for a 1.5 litre bottle, but that quickly killed my fish overnight due to a clamp on the hose falling off..

I plan to use a little co2 bell in the tank, directly in the current from the internal filter.. unless you can give me a different, cheap way to diffuse the co2..

any recipeis for a 1 or 0.5 litre bottle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 03:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to PinkRasbora
When you said it killed you fish because the clamp came off. Are you saying they died from co2 posioning? or did the yeast mixture killed the fish as it entered the tank?

For such a small tank a bell is fine, as a ladder would be so big I don't think it would fit.

also for a recipe if they one you used for the 1.5 liter is correct why can't you divide it by four which would give you a quater recipie then just mulitpy it till you get the amount you need.

~Pink's Tank:~
14 Gallon Tall Aquarium
Picture link Soon
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
cxz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkRasbora
When you said it killed you fish because the clamp came off. Are you saying they died from co2 posioning? or did the yeast mixture killed the fish as it entered the tank?

For such a small tank a bell is fine, as a ladder would be so big I don't think it would fit.

also for a recipe if they one you used for the 1.5 liter is correct why can't you divide it by four which would give you a quater recipie then just mulitpy it till you get the amount you need.
I believe the level of co2 killed them, as I couldnt see any yeast mixture that had traveled up the tube..

I'll try to fool around a bit with the mixture..

how many bubbles / min do I want?

with the 1.5 litre I had like 2-3 a sec..

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 05:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
2-3 per second is what 30-50 gal people have.

I would aim for 20 bpm (.33 per second) for a 5g and see how that turns out. will be hard with DIY, but playing around enough with the sugar/yeast levels will eventually get you what you need.

Cliff
450g Planted Discus Tank - Work in Process!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 07:21 PM

I doubt CO2 overdose killed them. CO2 doesn't displace O2, so they would not have suffocated.
And pH decreases related to CO2 injection don't affect fish the same way as pH changes related to alkalinity increase/decrease.

Not saying its impossible, but I suspect something else...maybe the DIY mixture flowed up the tube into the tank. You say you had a hose clamp....you are aware that you ABSOLUTELY CANNOT restrict the flow of a DIY CO2 unit right? If you clamp the end, the 1.5litre bottle continues to produce CO2 until it pops the clamp, or the bottle explodes.
yes, explodes.

if you had it clamped, it likely built up enough pressure to pop the clamp and then the sudden release surged DIY mixture into the tank, killing them via poisoning.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 06:33 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via MSN to Curare
Setting up C02 on a 5 gal can be a bit of overkill, not to mention getting all the gear into the tank or hiding it can be a pain.

Are you sure you need co2 before you begin killing your fish?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Like drops of fertiliser into the tank, so are the days of our CO2...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 03:56 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I'm using Gatorade bottles for my DIY CO2 for my 5G tank and it's working fine. My fish are all swimming around great, they eat fine and everything is Ok. I don't have a Gh or Kh test kit yet so I'm basically going by what I'm seeing. At night, just in case, I use a fine bubble air stone from Lees. I'm also using that for the diffusion till I get a bell. If I remember well, I think I'm using like 4 cups of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of yeast. I might bump it up a quarter but I'm going to wait till I get the test kits. The Ph goes down to 6.8 with the CO2 and I added to the mix 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda. Without the baking soda I think it drops to 6.0 Ph or something.

Always use a check valve.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 02:28 AM

I made a bell for my 2.5 gallon using one of those bubble things out of a bubble gum machine. I used a wood burner to make a small hole in it and siliconed a suction cup in. The line from my DIY yeast mix is held in place by another suction cup so that it emptys into the bell. Working great so far!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode