diy co2 for a 55g tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
diy co2 for a 55g tank

i know its pushing it a bit but i really want to try it out! my idea is to have 4 or 5 2liter bottles that people usually do but then get a connector that connects the tubes to they eventually all go into one tube and one defuser? sound possible?

if it is what do you use as ur recipy for co2?

life's a learning experience

FN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 02:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
just making 1 bottle every couple weeks was a PITA... I can't imagine keeping up with 4-5 bottles! But, I will say it is a fun little science fair project. Just keep track of how much time you spend on this (which will be a ton), how many headaches you get from it, etc, etc... and then you will start realizing that the $$$ for pressurized is well worth it

It is "possible"... just will be hard to maintain a constant co2 ppm. and guess what, algae loves non-consistant co2 rates!

Make sure to make a good bubble counter that will seperate out the gunk from each bottle out prior to entering the final tube that all are connected to. Easy to do, so just ask how if you don't know already.

What I used to use, and seemed to work great:

2L bottle
2 cups Sugar (granulized)
1 Packet (or 2 tsp) Bakers Yeast
1 tp Molasses (or protein drink)
1/4 - 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1-1/2 L's of de-chlorinated water (combo of Hot and Cold)

Desolve the 2 cups of Sugar in warm-hot water (de-chlorinated). Either in the 2L bottle, or a separate container (then pour in 2L bottle)
Put in the 1 tp of Molasses
Fill bottle with room temperature or cool de-chlorinated water to ~3-4" from the top.
Put in the Baking soda and Bakers Yeast
Shake briefly with cap on.
allow time for solution to reach room temperature and it is ready.

Cliff
450g Planted Discus Tank - Work in Process!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 05:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
[QUOTE=Fish Newb]i know its pushing it a bit but i really want to try it out! my idea is to have 4 or 5 2liter bottles that people usually do but then get a connector that connects the tubes to they eventually all go into one tube and one defuser? sound possible?

http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html#3
by John LeVasseur
this is the set up that i use in my 55 gal ...
It has worked well for me ..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevin

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 08:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

is it really necessary to have check valves for each bottle? or would it make more sense to just have 1 check valve after the bubble counter?

I am sure either would work.

Cliff
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 08:30 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
i dont bother with a check valve at all, i found it made large bubbles, once the pressure was enough to lift the valve off its seat so ...... i just have the inlet tube loop up a bit higher than the tank, but even if it did siphon back it will only go into the bottle a bit - ok so you will have to make a new batch of mix, no big deal.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

[QUOTE=aquamoon]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Newb
i know its pushing it a bit but i really want to try it out! my idea is to have 4 or 5 2liter bottles that people usually do but then get a connector that connects the tubes to they eventually all go into one tube and one defuser? sound possible?

http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html#3
by John LeVasseur
this is the set up that i use in my 55 gal ...
It has worked well for me ..

TOO much info? ill have to finish reading later... but is all those check valves and stuff nessesary? in rexx's co2 bottle reactor he didnt even glue the tubing in he just stuck it thru and said that it was fine since it was really tight.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Question

and yes it will be a PITA but i cant get pressurized atm so this is my only option... from my understanding a buble counter is just to seperate the gunk out and get the co2 to go to the top and out but then again isnt that whats supposed to happen in the soda bottle? i still need to read the whole article that aquamoon posted but i am not too sure about the buble counter? could u x-plain?

more reading in my future i can tell

Fn
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 01:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
and yes it will be a PITA but i cant get pressurized atm so this is my only option... from my understanding a buble counter is just to seperate the gunk out and get the co2 to go to the top and out but then again isnt that whats supposed to happen in the soda bottle? i still need to read the whole article that aquamoon posted but i am not too sure about the buble counter? could u x-plain?

more reading in my future i can tell

Fn
For DIY, the "gunk separator" and the bubble counter are the same thing. As long as you can see inside the bottle and see how many bubbles are rising.

Cliff
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 01:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

TOO much info? ill have to finish reading later... but is all those check valves and stuff nessesary? .[/QUOTE]
no .....but ....its more for safety.....(IMO)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevin
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 02:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
All those check valve are probably a good Idea to keep 1 bottle's CO2 from going into another bottle, and being lost when you make a new batch.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

yeah thats true and if im going to do multiple bottles..... thats a good idea...so far my design is this 4 soda bottles with a hole drilled into the top. then what im doing is sticking the tubing thru the top (is that ok or do i need to like fasten it like that sight says? well now we are in the tubes coming out going thru the check valves. here is the question! so i make a multiconntection here and run 1 tube into the bubble counter or can i run all the tubes seperatly into bubble counter? then im thinking i get another tube coming out of the bubble counter and going to my diffuser? correct?

point out any flaws and such..... im open arms dont hesitate to correct me on this......!

still learning....
Fish NEWB
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 10:08 PM
jgc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
here is just an idea - a cheep brass air valve from walmart (you know the ones you use to put air to the various toys you had in your first tank).

use it in reverse. Have each soda bottle valved off, and use the normal input at an output to your diy bubble counter. That way you can valve off a single bottle for exchange without loosing pressure on the others.
---
or valve off a live bottle and tell us what happens

58 gallon oceanic, Kessel 360 tun sun, pressurized co2, eheim pimp #179 - 2217 and diffuser
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgc
here is just an idea - a cheep brass air valve from walmart (you know the ones you use to put air to the various toys you had in your first tank).

use it in reverse. Have each soda bottle valved off, and use the normal input at an output to your diy bubble counter. That way you can valve off a single bottle for exchange without loosing pressure on the others.
---
or valve off a live bottle and tell us what happens

lol but u didnt answer the question... could i run my bc like that?
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 04:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
then what im doing is sticking the tubing thru the top (is that ok or do i need to like fasten it like that sight says? well now we are in the tubes coming out going thru the check valves. here is the question! so i make a multiconntection here and run 1 tube into the bubble counter or can i run all the tubes seperatly into bubble counter? then im thinking i get another tube coming out of the bubble counter and going to my diffuser? correct?
point out any flaws and such..... im open arms dont hesitate to correct me on this:
still learning....
Fish NEWB
1. If you have a air tight seal with just the co2 tubbing going it to the cap,
It should work..are you using air line or c02 line?
2. The rest of your plan sounds good...........
IMO

Kevin
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

ill get whatever is suggested i could of sworn i read somewhere that airline tubing wasnt good for co2 what do u say?

and the bc q. can i run all my tubes into it seperatly from thsoe bottles or should i connect them all and then make the one tube go into the bc?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode