"Rex Reactor" for DIY CO2? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
"Rex Reactor" for DIY CO2?

I'm looking for information on using a "Rex Reactor" with DIY CO2. I've read many posts about building the reactor, but I'm not sure if it will work with DIY CO2. My concern is that pressurized CO2 is needed for this style reactor. Can I just use a check valve to prevent water from ending up in my DIY CO2 or do I need to build a different type of reactor?

Thanks in advance

jp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 08:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (44/100%)
I built one for use on another aquarium where I have DIY CO2- the check valve is enough to keep the water from coming back into the CO2 bottles- but my concern is the amount of gas pressure needed to overpower the water pressure pushing out. I am concerned the gas pressure needed to overcome it is going to be too high- risking blowing the seals on my bottles before pressure is high enough to push into reactor, or worse yet- blowing the top off the bottle and spraying yeast/sugar gunk all over my walls!

Any tips? advice? comments?

A check value would be necessary on a pressurized set up too, no? otherwise what would keep the water from flowing into your regulator when the solenoid shuts off the pressure at night?

Does anyone thing placement of the check valve along the CO2 in line have an effect? if the check valve is only an inch away from your CO2 inlet then the CO2 from your DIY reactor will only have to push water out of that last inch of hose as opposed to building enough pressure to clear the water out of a foot of hose if the valve is 12" away.... Does it make any difference?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 09:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)
I wouldn't try it for DIY co2. I made mine and was going to use diy co2 until I got pressurized, but I decided to just wait for pressurized because there is so much back pressure.

For DIY co2, just use a different type of reactor or diffuser. Don't bother making a In-Line reactor for DIY co2

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 02:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (44/100%)
I am with Fosty- I set mine up today on my DIY- can't get a single bubble- the pressure out is blowing the seals on the tops of my DIY sugar yeast concoction- theres $25 (I live in NY- everything is more expensive) in DIY down the tubes! I did make a little bubble counter, added it to the set up and hooked up my pressurized CO2- worked like a charm- too bad that's going on the other tank. Now I can either re-set up my internal homemade reactor I made for about $3- or I can add another $150 for a tank and regulator to the $25 I already spent - maybe $75 for the pH controller and make it a cool $250- I am tempted.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Thanks guys....given all the information I've been reading I just decided to go with pressurized, I'll bite the $150 bullet in the hopes that it makes my tank that much better. I appreicate your feedback.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode