How much air movement (CFM) for this setup? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (67/100%)
How much air movement (CFM) for this setup?

Hello all, long time lurker, first time poster.
I'm designing an enclosed hood for a 92 corner tank (1/4 cylinder shape, 34.25" radius/sides). I plan on installing 2-55W and 1-96W PC lights from AHSupply. Obviously I need to cool the hood. Is there a ballpark number for air movement I should shoot for. Sure, I can install two fans, but do I use two 15cfm fans or one/two 64cfm fans?
Thanks for your replies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 06:22 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
I currently have 5 cool master supersilent 80mm fans cooling my two 55w reflector and bulb and also my ballast. I have set so that two fans are cooling my lights, one blowing air over and the other sucking out and on one of my lights I have a fan that blows the air out onto the ballast. I also have another fan cooing the ballast as well. They run around 1300-1400 rpms and are about 15 or so cfm. I love them as they are quiet as heck, only thing I hear is my reactor water and my ac500 filter's humming. The reflector is cool to the touch and the ballast is warm. I tried higer rpms and cfms but the noise was very annoying when viewing the tank.

the ballast and lights all fit under my hood and the only ventalations are on the back where I cut an area to fit my HOB filter, wiring for lights, teimp and fans and my co2 hoses that go into and out of my tank.

Hope this helps
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 09:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to Matak
Hey Beviking, don't know if you remember me from AC, but welcome to TPT!

Sorry, I can't help you with your question. Where would you place your fans and vents? My guess is that in an enclosed system you would need to place either two fans in the front corners and a vent in the back or one more powerfull fan in the back and the two vents in the front. BTW I'm building a 190 corner tank myself. My light hood will be in three lift off sections because that's the only way I can think of to get access to the tank. How will your hood lift?

Steve

Filstar advocate #29

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode