DIY "steampunk" Python water changer - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Manila, Philippines
Posts: 55
DIY "steampunk" Python water changer

Living in our neck of the woods have its disadvantages, particularly with shortages of aquarium supplies. One particular supply I was pertaining to was the python water changer. I've seen several DIY plans out there, but most of them involved parts which are also in scarcity here. So I decided to fashion my own using common pipe fitting and garden supplies.

I'm very inept in fabricating things, so I eliminated it altogether and made sure to use materials that requires no or little as possible construction skills. =b


Brass Jet Nozzle

Female Quick Connect Hose Attachment

1/2" T-Pipe Fitting

I couldn't get the brass jet nozzle out of the fitting without destroying it =b I'll explain how I fitted it later.

1/2" to 3/4" Adapter

1/2" male to male coupler

3/4" male to male coupler

Female Quick Connect Hose Fitting

Male Quick Connect Hose Fitting

A few inches of hoses.


Once you've gathered all the materials, assembly is pretty straight forward. The only real work is finding a way to fix the brass jet nozzle in its place. For this purpose, I decided to wrap the brass jet nozzle in garden hose to make it fit better and provide an airtight seal. After that, it's just a matter of forcing it into the end of the T-pipe and making sure it's straight.

I found through trial and error that placing it a few centimeters just before the intersection works best.

Also, I found that fitting a few inches of hose inside the adapter makes for a stronger vacuum.

Once you've assembled everything, it should look like this.

The nearest faucet outside our house already has a quick connect fitting attached to it so using the "python" is just a matter of sticking it in their. Once you're done siphoning water out of the tank, I use another quick connect hose fitting with an "aquastop" feature to divert the water to the aquarium.

I started this project as a proof of concept. Once I proved that the design worked, I never had time to polish it and I was hoping that by posting it here, bigger brains would have an idea how to improve on it.

So as usual - comments, suggestions and violent reactions are very much appreciated =)
tokpaler is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 07:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: nj
Posts: 442
jhays79 is offline  

diy, python, water change, waterchanger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome