DIY Sunday - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
DIY Sunday

Spent most of today on DIY projects for my tanks, great fun, but doesn't happen often...

First improved the DIY filter in my 43 gal tank... it's a "Mattenfilter" with two Filstar foam pads squeezed into a tank corner. Got a slightly stronger pump, and included an internal inline CO2 reactor which replaced the unsightly ladder.

Then I replaced the outflow for my filstar with a selfmade plastic pipe thing. I bent 3/4" pvc pipe using a metal spring inside, heated the pipe up over a gas stove burner, and got a nice narrow U-turn that just so fits over the tank rim. Heated up the end and pushed a short piece of 1/2" pipe into the 3/4" pipe, which fits the Filstar 5/8 hoses, and secured the filter tubing with one of those wonderful green hose clamps from the garden department.

Finally, used the little pump leftover from the filter upgrade, and built an auto-doser. Took a gallon can (used for milk/juice), cut it a little so the tiny powerhead (AS606) would fit in. Used some tubing to connect it to an airline, and added inline a little drip "T" with an open end. This reduces the pump pressure, and the open end will provide for great mixing while the pump is running. Just need to play around with a timer and see how much I want to pump in a minute, how many days this will last, and how much fertilizer I need to add. It will keep my 100 gal tank topped off too. I plan on getting about 2 weeks out of it. Easily adjustable, just takes some testing.

Okay, where's the timer?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 09:36 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest
... it's a "Mattenfilter" with two Filstar foam pads squeezed into a tank corner...
Finally someone mentioned Mattenfilter and actually made one!

It isn't very popular here in the US. I was considering it as an upgrade to replace the HOB on 29gal tank. I couldn't find good inexpensive material in less than bulk quantities though. Instead I started building a sump. Perhaps one day I'll try Mattenfilter on another tank.

29g eco, DIY up to 81W PC (55W used), Rena Filstar XP2 Filter
Corkscrew Vals, 2 angels, 4 corydoras aeneus, Ramshorn snails, MTS
5 gal RCS tank with sand bottom, java moss, small internal filter, MTS, Ramshorn snails.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Are these real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterving
Finally someone mentioned Mattenfilter and actually made one!
It's running for over 2 years already... working pretty good.

Quote:
I couldn't find good inexpensive material in less than bulk quantities though.
Five bucks gets you this: http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/...tegory_id=2563 Depends of course on the tank size/height that you want to use it for.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Are these real?

Quote:
Okay, where's the timer?
Got lucky in WM... Found some discontinued timers, with 7 day programmability, digital, minute precision, battery backup, reduced to $7!! Set it all up to dose twice a day, every day, except Sunday (my water change day).

Getting 12 days out of the 1 gal jug, so that's exactly 2 weeks. I used to dose twice a week, so I just multiplied that fertilizer amount by 4 which should equal two weeks of dosing then.

If I want to take off 4 weeks I just switch the timer to dose once instead of twice a day... bingo!

Working on a second jug for micros...

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 08:57 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
It's running for over 2 years already... working pretty good.

Five bucks gets you this: http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/...tegory_id=2563 Depends of course on the tank size/height that you want to use it for.
Thanks for the link. What size are they by the way?

5 gal RCS tank with sand bottom, java moss, small internal filter, MTS, Ramshorn snails.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Are these real?

Not sure, but I can measure them when I am home. I think probably around 7 in.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Are these real?

They are 6.5x6.5" square, with slightly rounded edges.

The tank I am using them in is about 16" high. Deduct 1.5" on the top and bottom and they just so fit.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 06:09 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
They are 6.5x6.5" square, with slightly rounded edges.

The tank I am using them in is about 16" high. Deduct 1.5" on the top and bottom and they just so fit.
Thanks Wasserpest. I will probably pickup a pack from That Pet Place, if they have it, as I will be nearby tomorrow.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 07:14 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
...That Pet Place ...
I went there Saturday - The place is Awsome! It certainly beats www.petswarehouse.com in Long Island. I found everything I needed and then some. Can't wait to get home and start building...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode