Filter partitions question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Filter partitions question

I am going to build a filter like this, except in a 30 gallon tank.
http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/co...article&sid=25

I would need to go get glass for the partitions or I have some porcealin ceramic floor tiles left over from when we remodeled the bathroom that would fit perfectly.

Is there any reason that I couldn't use the tiles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 03:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to PinkRasbora
Well is your tile glazed on both sides? From expeirence only one side is glazed so that the back is pourus enough to attach to the grout. And also is your tile white? being exposed to the water 24/7(which it is not designed to do) the tile might change colors and break down the tile material.

~Pink's Tank:~
14 Gallon Tall Aquarium
Picture link Soon
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

It's glazed on one side and looks like a brick on the other.
I have both green and a white/beige.

What difference would the color make?
I have enough silicone that I could go over the back if it's necessary.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 05:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to PinkRasbora
The coloring of the tiles would indicate that water is inside. Now on a wall this is no problem the glazed side protects it. The thing is that tile is baked in a kiln at a very high temp to remove water, this leaves small holes in the material. Under normal conditions there is no problem, but expose it to water 24/7 you are allowing all that water to flow back into the tile. Since water has minerals in it, they will start to deposit, that is why your example uses it as the primary filter media. This deposit will start to change colors, and try to return the tile to its original state which is just sand, aggriate, and powder with a bonding agent.

So it might work for a while, but I am not sure what the long term affects would be. I know that the tiles are placed on a wall with grout, due to the tile expanding because of the water temp of the shower. By code it has to be 1/16" or larger. So I am guessing you will have to have a good sized joint between the tile and the glass to do the tile expanding.

Sorry that was long-winded.

-Stacy

~Pink's Tank:~
14 Gallon Tall Aquarium
Picture link Soon
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I didn't think about it expanding. It would be too tight of a fit fo that so I'll scrap that idea.

I have some plexiglass I could cut for it but it's only 1/8" thick. Would that warp?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 06:49 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Using plexiglass as divider shouldn't warp. Since it is going to be filled with water, the pressure from both sides will be similar, even filled with media.

I am seriously wondering about the "blue metal chips". Talking about inert and all... I would probably go with something more proven, like pillow batting or such.

Also, I would place the pump into the filter, not into the tank. If something blocks the overflow from the filter, the entire tank will be pumped out. Plus, that way you wouldn't have to clean the powerhead as often, you wouldn't have to hide it in the tank, and you wouldn't have to worry about any living things sucked through the impeller. Just use a few redundant overflow pipes.

(I had planned doing something like this, but then went with canister filters instead. So since I haven't done this... all grey theory and I could be way off)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I didn't care much for the choice of media in the instructions either. I was planning on using bio balls, then pool filter sand or gravel and finally a poly-fill pad.
I have some mesh plastic pots made for pond plants that I am going to put handles on and put the bio balls in so I can pull it out to clean eaiser. If I go with the sand I'll need a nylon stocking or landscape cloth to line the basket.

I have an overflow in the middle of the tank that I was planning on putting in a durso stand pipe. Do you think if I put a drip plate and the boiballs there instead (in a mesh bag) it would still be really loud?
I could then use the pool filter sand in the first compartment of the filter. I have a pipe with a screen base that I saved from an old small pool filter that I could use instead of the UG filter plate.The sand would move better if the water came from below.

Tell me if I'm way off here.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode