My latest projects: Reactor / Canopy struts - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
My latest projects: Reactor / Canopy struts

Here are the latest projects I've done for my 20g.
1)Co2 reactor: Here I borrowed the Hoftiezer design, only I ommitted the Test Tee piece as I'll be hooking it to the outflow of the filter and hopefully that will help prevent it from getting gunked up. I just finished putting it together tonight --- how long would you expect before its "safe" for the fish and plants? It still smells like that primer and cement I used on it. For anyone who lives in Sacramento, try Emigh's Ace Hardware ---> I found ALL the parts there except the elbow joint part.

2)Canopy struts: I've read about people doing this, but more recently saw something like this on someone's tank and decided that its so simple and gives much better "spread" that I had no reason not to make one for my tank. The light should be a bit more evenly distributed, plus I won't expect it to get as hot and the plants not directly under the lights should grow more vertically, rather than bending towards the light.

Take a look at the pics and tell me what you think! My wife thinks the reactor is an eyesore! LOL...and I told her I'd slap some stain on the bare plywood struts to make it match the enclosure better.
Cheers,
-Ryan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0509230009.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1789  

90g journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SAPS member -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

The completed reactor...
It measures around 15" long in full and I was able to put five 1-1/2" bio balls inside for added turbulence.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0509250017.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	1791  

90g journal:

SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

The struts/legs I put on the light enclosure to raise it up about 3 inches...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0509250011.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	1792  

90g journal:

SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 01:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Good work. I agree, the stain would improve the look a lot.

I let my reactor sit for at least a few days, I thought the smell would never disappear.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 02:00 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Lol... I built pretty much the same reactor a year or two ago... only diff is I didn't find the plastic barb things, and used regular 1/2 PVC pipe, which connects well to the 5/8 vinyl hoses from my filter.

Why eyesore? Can't it be hidden in a cabinet?

I'd let it "dry" a day or two and then immerse it in a bucket of water another day, finally give it a good flushing.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I guess I got lucky on the plastic barbs. I had to get a brass barb for the Co2 tubing as the place didn't have plastic barbs that were small enough.
So, since I finished making the reactor last night, I'll let it sit 'till at least tomorrow night, then I'll put it in a bucket of water for a day or two....then, it should be fine
Cabinet? nah, its just an open "skeleton" metal stand. That may be a future project! ;P

90g journal:

SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 02:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
ringram:
Quote:
Cabinet? nah, its just an open "skeleton" metal stand. That may be a future project!
You could scuff the reactor with seal wool then spray paint it. There are a number of spray paints for plastics, Krylon make the best known.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

That's an idea and I may actually do that. I know I have a can or two of black Rustoleum. Not sure if that would work. I'll have to look at the bottle.
-Ryan

90g journal:

SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 10:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone
ringram:
You could scuff the reactor with seal wool then spray paint it. There are a number of spray paints for plastics, Krylon make the best known.
I thought it was illegal to kill seals...

Sorry, couldn't resist.

On another note, what is the rather large knife used for?
FWIW, I use a similar reactor...works very well. Been on the same CO2 5lb bottle since February, and still at over 800 on the regulator. Dropping my pH by .4 or so...in two tanks.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 10:44 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoetzl

Sorry, couldn't resist.

On another note, what is the rather large knife used for?
Obviously to kill the seal and shear the wool!

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 06:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
jhoetzl:
Quote:
Only the cute baby ones. There is no bag limit on the ugly adult ones

Wasserpest:
Quote:
Obviously to kill the seal and shear the wool!
...I hear they taste like chicken

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

LOL.
Actually, I hooked it up last night and found that there was a little trickle from one of the seals, so I disconnected it and I'll be putting more cement in the cracks. Also, between the cannister filter(Eheim #2222) and that big 'ol reactor, I barely have room in my little 20g stand (even thought its an open/skeleton metal stand). That will take some thought as well. Those brackets people have been talking about may be the way to go, so I can mount it to one of the legs of the stand...

90g journal:

SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode