DIY CO2 - Leak? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY CO2 - Leak?

A few hours ago I set up my CO2 injector. Since I set it up, I have not had 1 bubble in the tank. I am wondering if there is a leak or if I just haven't given it enough time to build up pressure in the bottle? I read somewhere that it could be up to 3 days sometimes? On average how long does it take for the CO2 to make its way into the tank after setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 02:24 AM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
I would wait until the morning. If there are still no bubbles then you have a leak or bad yeast

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 02:26 AM
Algae Grower

I usually have bubbles within a couple of hours, sometimes minutes. I think it depends on the type of yeast and temperature.
What kind of yeast are you using? I reccomend Nottingham Ale brewers yeast. Made by Danstar I think.
Do you use warm water to dissolve your sugar and yeast?

You could also do a dunk test for a leak in a bucket of water.
Hope this helps!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 02:37 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips guys. The dunk test is a great idea. I am using Fleischmans Active Dry Yeast. And yes I used lukewarm water to dissolve it all. The mixture is bubbling and there is a foam on the top but none of it has made it into the tank yet. I have a lot of brewers yeast but I probably can't use it. It's the health food store type and I'm pretty sure it is sold dead, plus it has added fiber.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 03:04 AM
Algae Grower

You'd probably have much better results with brewers yeast from a wine/beer making store :P

I find that it lasts longer than bread yeast.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 04:14 AM Thread Starter

I would have gotten brewers yeast, but my GF picked this bread yeast up for me sort of as a surprise because I told her I had to get some. I will work on making a new injector tomorrow if this one isn't bubbling by morning. I'm pretty sure it's just a leak. Thanks for the help guys.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Well, I made a new injector and I found a local source for some wine yeast. A local wine school sold me a huge bag of it for a buck. Within about 1/2 an hour of setup it started bubbling. Thanks again for the help guys.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 03:31 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (20/100%)
nice to see that you solved the problemmm now im having my own problem with this frustrating DIY Co2!!!!

its been working fine, using DIY co2 for like nearly a year then all of a sudden now after a new batch the bubbles seem to have stopped, its 3 days and then i mixed a new batch and its doing the samething...its foaming and everything and a little squeeze on the bottle will make some co2 flow out but otherwise it just sits there, doesn't bubble into the tank unless i squeeze the bottle a little

leak somewhere?? i tested the cap and the seal and there's no leak there

i'd go pressurized, but my parents wont let me, becuase their scared of having a co2 canister in the home, no matter what i tell them
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 03:44 AM Thread Starter

Could be a leak, or old yeast possibly.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 05:19 AM
Planted Member

well i thought it was a leak but searched and still haven't found one

and the yeast is only like a week old so i dont knoww whats going wrong it worked so well for what's like nearly a year now
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 05:28 AM Thread Starter

Hmmmm, I don't know what it could be then besides a bad batch of yeast if there is no leak. Make sure the airline isn't clogged with yeast somewhere?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 03:29 AM
Planted Member

I'm not sure what happened...I thought it could be some clogged yeast so I ran some hot water through the tubing and then sniped the ends (not sure if this solves the problem)

Then I decided to just add a 2nd 2L bottle using a 2 valve, and everything's been fine since. Probably more useful too since when I swap bottle one is still left running as opposed to none.

Thanks navaros for your input!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 04:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (66/100%)
Are you still having issue with CO2?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode