DIY CO2 mix - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
DIY CO2 mix

I have a question I just built a DIY CO2 generator with 2 bottles of coke, 2 cups of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of yeast and 1 teaspoon of baking soda. mY question is how long does it take to start producing co2 (or bubbling)?
Do the bottle have to place high or can they be placed underneath the tank?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 09:40 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just from my experience:

It should start bubbling in anytime between an hour and 8 hours. It is easy to get yeast that is not very active or completely dead, or to kill it with extreme temperatures, or by letting it get moist (high ambient humidity will do), and then letting it dry again.

Placing it under the tank risks water siphoning out of the tank, into the system, and out to your room. You can prevent this if you make sure there are no leaks, however small.

Placing it under the tank risks the yeast siphoning into the tank. In my case that meant completely tearing down the tank, because the yeast, no matter how many water changes, started a cascade of events that left my tank completely covered in a grey slime.

What I do now: Triple check that there are no leaks. I put the whole thing underwater for a full day to make sure no bubbles come out except at the output tube, and place the system under the tank.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamastre
Just from my experience:

It should start bubbling in anytime between an hour and 8 hours. It is easy to get yeast that is not very active or completely dead, or to kill it with extreme temperatures, or by letting it get moist (high ambient humidity will do), and then letting it dry again.

Placing it under the tank risks water siphoning out of the tank, into the system, and out to your room. You can prevent this if you make sure there are no leaks, however small.

Placing it under the tank risks the yeast siphoning into the tank. In my case that meant completely tearing down the tank, because the yeast, no matter how many water changes, started a cascade of events that left my tank completely covered in a grey slime.

What I do now: Triple check that there are no leaks. I put the whole thing underwater for a full day to make sure no bubbles come out except at the output tube, and place the system under the tank.
Gracias amigo

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 10:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
You can place it under your tank with no problem at all if you buy a check vaulve and place it in your line. This way no water can run down into your bottles. They are supper cheap also. I would guess under a dollar. Mine came free with something that i bought at the LFS.

Filstar Pimp #27

"Insert your own tag line here"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2005, 11:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
One cup of sugar in a two liter bottle is sufficient to keep a 1/4 tsp of red wine yeast going almost one month. I always add a little bit of dechlorinate as well.

If I mix it in 80 F water, the yeast will will start in a few hours. In the winter when its cooler, it's usually going overnight. If it takes too much longer, throw the yeast away and get a fresh pack that's been stored in a refrigerator. Seal it up well and store it there as well until next month.

Andrew, MASI Treasurer

This message is always under construction: 75-gallon tank; 2, Eheim 2026 filters - one twice broken; Tek Light with 4, 54W T5s (6000K) ; Sand on top of 4:1 sand:clay mixture; Milwaukee CO2 controller; PlantGuild vortex CO2 reactor; pH = 6.6, kH=70mg/l, GH=120mg/l; EI; Flourish excel on 50% weekly water change: AGA Member.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode